Re: "cross-site"

Perhaps I am missing something, but I don't understand why we need the reference to "cross-site" nor to "across sites."  As a user I want to send a clear and unambiguous signal that I do not wish to be tracked.  I may be persuaded that first party sites and third party sites have different obligations when my message is received, but I definitely want both first and third party sites to get my message. Thus, I believe the specification should simply read:

"This specification defines the technical mechanisms for expressing a tracking preference via the DNT request header field in HTTP."

73s,
John

On Nov 15, 2011, at 11:21 AM, Mark Nottingham wrote:

> On 14/11/2011, at 6:26 PM, Karl Dubost wrote:
>
>> Old:
>>   This specification defines the technical mechanisms
>>   for expressing a cross-site tracking preference via
>>   the DNT request header field in HTTP…
>>
>> New:
>>   This specification defines the technical mechanisms
>>   for expressing a tracking preference across sites
>>   via the DNT request header field in HTTP
>
> The subject of the constraint here is still *sites*, not transfer of data between parties.
>
> Perhaps something like:
>
> This specification defines the technical mechanisms for
> expressing a preference regarding transfer of tracking data
> between parties via the DNT request header field in HTTP
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Mark Nottingham
> http://www.mnot.net/