Re: Consolidating css-wg and web-platform-tests repositories (Was: test suite meta data)

On Thursday, August 1, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Linss, Peter wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2013, at 3:43 PM, Tobie Langel wrote:
> > What is preventing us from consolidating the CSS and web-platform-test repositories at this stage?
>
> The fact that we have ~2000 review comments over the course of two years in a pre-existing system that we're not willing to throw away. The plan of record is that I'm going to be adapting our existing system to integrate with GitHub.

I don't understand why switching to the main repo would cause you to loose these two years of review comments. Surely, these could be kept accessible despite the new system being hosted elsewhere.

Furthermore, the main repo's review model and test lifecycle models are very different from the CSS WG's: test are approved when pulled in. If a test has a problem, an issue is filed against it. That's all there is to it. No test status/life cycle, etc. just regular versioning. The CSS WG will need to adopt this workflow when switching to the main repo or convince everyone else to adopt the CSS WG's way (which is highly unlikely). I'm not sure what benefits there are in delaying the switch further.
> Once that's working, and we can merge our existing review data, we'll move our tests into the main repo.

What's the timeline for that? Keeping a common set of docs and process across the two repos is already proving to be difficult. As we start building more infrastructure around the main repo, I'm concerned we'll quickly get further apart than we're now.

--tobie