Re: Testing call this Monday

On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

>>> Nope, I wasn't. It seems to be feature equivalent to [1], ie it can run
>>> self describing and script based. Am I correct? Did you give some
>>> thoughts about extending it for reftests?
>>
>> Oh, I never even realised that [1] gathered results automatically. I've
>> got basic support for reftests, for example at [2].

Neat, that's pretty much just what I had in mind for manual reftests.
There could be probems with testing some things that need to load in
a top level browsing context (also applies to javascript tests ofc). The
tests should also take up almost all of the viewport; that's fixable
though.

> nice! I was also thinking we could use canvas to do the comparison
> automatically but looking at canvas 2d, I don't see anything that let
> use just copy the rendering of a page in a canvas.

It turns out that would have all sorts of subtle security and privacy
implications so it seems unlikely we will be able to make that kind of
functionality avaliable to public web content anytime soon. I understand
there have been some discussions about stanadrdising a DOM API just for
testing; that would help here.

> Can you also run the html5lib parser tests as well in your framework?

I already have the bits to make these run like any other testharness.js
test, so they will work with Ms2ger's test runner just fine.