Re: [Talent-Signal] relating competencies to job postings

Phil, I agree that what we don't need is another competency framework
model. We already have one that's good in rich description for B2B
exchanges of competency frameworks (CASE) and another that's natively Web
(ASN and the CTDL-ASN profile). I see no reason pushing schema.org to
enable rich description of competency frameworks that takes it beyond it's
role in search. I think that DefinedTerm satisfies your (a), (b) and (c) in
the context of search...without quibbling about (b) being indirect. As an
RDF statement (or set of statements), e.g.,
EOCredInstance==skill==>DefinedTerm==inDefinedTermSet==>DefinedTermsSet,
there is nothing indirect.  With DefinedTerm and DefinedTermSet, I
potentially know: (a) the text of this "skill", (b) have a URI to more data
about it (if  a URI is provided)), (c) the name of the  framework to which
it belongs; and (d) a URI to that framework so I can explore more (again,
if a URI is provided).  That serves search and tells me a lot about this
resource and its related skill.

A while back, the LRMI work group, looked at DefinedTerm carefully in this
competency context and concluded that, for search,
DefinedTerm+DefinedTermSet did the job. We talked at length about its lack
of properties to provide structure to relate terms (broader/narrower |
hasChild/isChildOf) and to provide more context and concluded at that time
that what you bring up here would make sense IF further development were
deemed necessary. We'll have to see, in search, whether that additional
step is necessary--i.e., a kind of SKOSifying of DefinedTerm. If so, then
those structural terms might be better paired with a "CompetencyDefinition
and possibly CompetencyFramework" subtype of DefinedTerm, DefinedTermSet.