Re: [Talent-Signal] relating competencies to job postings

If we're considering "what else to add," the one thing nearly all the
competency frameworks are converging on now, that is not necessarily
represented in DefinedTerm, are gradations of expertise within
competency.  This is not dissimilar to degree fields  having levels
within them:  bachelors, masters, Ph.D. Most competency frameworks
(e.g., Connecting Credentials, Center for Curriculum Redesign) assign 4
levels, because this is kind of standard for rubrics used in teaching,
but we wouldn't need to assume an exact number of levels.  DOL, for
example, intrinsically has 3 benchmark levels underlying each competence.

To illustrate the 4 level system, within Critical Thinking you'd
typically have

  * Critical Thinking - Level 1 - Beginner  (e.g., "determine whether a
    subordinate has a good excuse for being late")
  * Critical Thinking - Level 2 - Intermediate
  * Critical Thinking - Level 3 - Advanced
  * Critical Thinking - Level 4 - Expert  (e.g., "write a legal brief
    challenging a federal law" - this is actually a Level 3 exemplar in
    the DOL system)

I'm thinking the level gradations might be a useful thing to accommodate
because there is a world of difference between Level 1 and Level 4 in
these rubrics.  If employers ever start specifying competencies
rigorously, they'll want to specify a level, too.

Merrilea

--

Merrilea J. Mayo, Ph.D.
Mayo Enterprises, LLC