Re: Regular SWICG meetings and CG process

st 29. 3. 2023 v 21:12 odesílatel Johannes Ernst <johannes.ernst@gmail.com>
napsal:

> On the call today, there was also the thought of having separate, smaller
> meetings focused on specific parts of the overall problem.
>
> The main categories of subjects that I wrote down were mentioned today:
>
> 1. Core ActivityPub spec issues / improvements (e.g. use of HTTP content
> negotiation)

This is good!

> 2. Significant potential extensions (e.g. cryptographic approaches to more
> privacy)

Nomadic Identity is something that has been discussed on socialhub over the
years as a way to more easily migrate from one instance to another

> 3. Documentation and testsuite(s):
>   a) just for ActivityPub
>   b) for the entire stack needed to achieve real-world interop (e.g. “will
> it show up in Mastodon”)
> 4. Profiles (e.g. a minimal subset)

Profiles require a lot of work as they tie everything together, and many
patterns are entrenched

Different projects are doing things in different ways, and theres bugs that
stay unfixed a long time

To do work on profiles I think there's going to have to be buy-in from
mastodon, to at least document the fine details of each fragment, and how
they can change, point paths to interop (ties into (2))

> 5. Non-protocol work including
>   a) getting people involved (e.g. mastodon representation)
>   b) branding
>   c) user experience
>   d) a “Fediverse developer network"
>
> Some of them clearly are outside of the historical scope of this group,
> but are necessary in the larger scheme of things, and this group is
> probably where the discussion on those needs to start.
>
> It appears to make more sense to have specific meetings focused on one of
> those items at a time, rather than one meeting that attempt to cover all.
>
> Does this sound roughly like the right categories of things, based on the
> discussion today?
>
> P.S. Thanks everybody for coming! I counted 46 people!!!

Great work.  I think a fresh start is needed.