Re: Meta Unspools Threads

pá 7. 7. 2023 v 3:52 odesílatel Evan Prodromou <evan@prodromou.name> napsal:

> Hey, so, once again, Meta is a W3C member and we will probably have a Meta
> representative in this group soon.

Your statement regarding Meta's potential representation in this group is
quite interesting. Could you kindly clarify if this information is based on
confirmed facts or if it is speculation at this stage?

> Most standards groups say, competition ends at the door or the meeting
> room.
>
> It's very healthy to have some competition among implementations in the
> ActivityPub space. But I'd personally appreciate if we kept this list
> focused on the specs, testing, and Interop.

While I fully agree that our focus should remain on specifications,
testing, and interoperation, discussing Meta's new implementation of
ActivityPub is within these boundaries. As the potential largest player in
the ActivityPub space, their actions can significantly impact the landscape
of interoperability. Recognizing this is not about fostering competition,
but ensuring we maintain a comprehensive understanding of all relevant
advancements in the space.

Their statements are very relevant to this group:

"...our plan is to work  with ActivityPub to provide you the option to stop
using Threads and transfer your content to another service. Our vision is
that people using compatible apps will be able to follow and interact with
people on Threads without having a Threads account, and vice versa,
ushering in a new era of diverse and interconnected networks"

see:

https://about.fb.com/news/2023/07/introducing-threads-new-app-text-sharing/