Re: Transitive and IntransitiveActivity

On 09/12/23 18:49, nightpool wrote:
> I think that, unless there's something I'm forgetting, it's pretty
> reasonable to assume that all current specified AP vocabulary types
> are transitive unless marked intransitive, but it would not be
> possible to assume the same for extension types, since you're not
> going to necessarily know at the time of processing whether an
> extension type is intended to be Intransitive or not.
>
> And yes, regardless of whether an activity type is transitive or
> Intransitive, no object property is *explicitly* required.
> ActivityStreams is designed as a very flexible set of vocabulary for
> social web concepts, it's designed so that other protocols (Like
> ActivityPub, but also others) can add more requirements about what
> properties may be required in different contexts to enable different
> types of processing
>

>  (It's certainly reasonable to assume that, in the ActivityPub inbox
> context, if you get a Like with no "object" property, there just isn't
> anything useful for you to be able to do with it. But that may not
> apply to all contexts—you could imagine a social web spec with an
> "object inbox" where a Like's object could be inferred from the
> receiver, for example)
Yes I think it is what I mean. With the open world assumption saying
that a class has a mandatory property does not force anyone to state the
property explicitly, but this would let a reasoner to assume that all
the individuals in this class have the property (may be with an unknown
value).

> On Sat, Dec 9, 2023, 11:05 AM Evan Prodromou <evan@prodromou.name> wrote:
>
>     No, the 'object' property is not mandatory.
>
>     No property is mandatory; an empty JSON object is compliant AS2.
>
>     'object' is just not meaningful for a type like 'Arrive'.
>
>     Evan

Ok thank you very much. We can just assume that intransitive activities
has no object.

CL