Re: Public SWEO Challenge? (was Re: Running code)

Hi sweos,

summing up my impression:
* challenge - good idea, but what do give away?
* we could propose a concrete idea, like "do xy with foaf" or let the
idea open
* we could propose constraints like "it has to do inference" or "it has
to be usable by my mom" or "it has to be a free web application that
requires nothing"
* the participants have to provide step-by-step introductions of what
they did.

Bringing in new info from me:
* yes, lets propose a challenge. its a good thing, and we have to
twiddle around with the requirements a little, and maybe not call it
challenge but "search for showcases".
* I would go for something super-simple, that allows a "round-trip" use
of RDF:
  person A annotates a photo saying that C is depicted, person B
annotates an appointment that the photo was taken at the appointment.
System suggests: "Maybe C was attending the meeting?". hm, not so simple.

* the ideas should be open, they can do anything. lets restrict on the
non-functional requirements. I collected some on this wiki page,
delete/edit there:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SweoIG/WildIdeas

btw: foafme.com was my 2004 attempt to make Henry story's foaf thing
come true. its java, download it :-) (the gui sucks)

about discussing:
> (we could also do this via e-mail, just takes longer)
>

> Yup, but I guess this could also be on IRC, #swig on freenode wouldn't
> be unsuited, would it?
#swig is fine for me, I am there anyway.
its logged and referencable, makes it quotable on wikis or e-mails.

Es begab sich aber da Benjamin Nowack zur rechten Zeit 21.12.2006 14:51
folgendes schrieb:
> [...]
>> application that could be easily run without complex software setups
>> (not everybody has mysql running!), or on a public server (I would
>> prefer the former). Something like TiddleWiki[1] or, in some respect,
>> exhibit[2]. We should also defined what the application is, instead of
>> leaving it completely open; we could therefore control that the
>> challenge is really on a widely usable tool and not some crazy idea that
>> is usable for a few hackers only. Frankly: it would also make our task
>> easier in judging a winner.
>>
>> So let me throw in my idea (I have not seen Kjetil's or Leo's yet:-).
>> Actually, it is not really mine, somebody had this idea on one of the
>> blogs (I should find the reference) but, shame on me, I do not find it
>> now. The goal is to create a foaf based personal address book. Take
>> references to foaf files, display the content with some faceted view,
>> for example (a bit like [2]), use all the tricks to understand some
>> common content in foaf files (geo locations, vcard data, pictures,
>> flickr references, etc) and of course the friends of friends in those
>> foaf files as further possible links. It does not require registration
>> like, for example, LinkedIn, and it nevertheless updates itself
>> automatically because it will always take the latest foaf file content.
>> Ie, I could have my own address list on my machine taking care of itself
>> automatically via the foaf connections. Maybe combining it with some
>> agenda data, a bit like Lee's SPARQL did. It should really be aimed at a
>> useful, *personal* tool, easy to run and with a minimal (if any)
>> installation. I would certainly like to use something like that... (One
>> of the attractive side of this is that there *are* lots of foaf files
>> out there to give this an easy start in terms of available data!)
>>
>> Obviously, this is just one idea. Let us see yours:-)
>>
>> Note that this application would really be for the hackers'/developers'
>> crowd. I am not sure this application would be convincing for corporate
>> usage; Susie, Frank, or Jeffrey can comment on that. For them, the much
>> larger scale demonstrations that the HCLS IG is planning to do is the
>> way to go. No problem there, we just should have a clear mind on whom we
>> are aiming for...
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Ivan
>>
>> [1] http://www.tiddlywiki.com/
>> [2] http://simile.mit.edu/wiki/Exhibit
>>
>> Leo Sauermann wrote:
>>
>>> Es begab sich aber da Kjetil Kjernsmo zur rechten Zeit 18.12.2006 13:30

>>> agreed on anything you say here.

>>> ok, now the crucial bit: in your e-mail, I don't find them.
>>>
>>> I have also one or two ideas, maybe they are the same. I would say we
>>> call each other and see if we can agree on ONE idea that we throw out as
>>> "people, this needs to be coded to show that RDF rocks".
>>>
>>> skype:leobard
>>>
>>> (we could also do this via e-mail, just takes longer)

DI Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann
DFKI GmbH
P.O. Box 2080          Fon:   +49 631 205-3503
67608 Kaiserslautern   Fax:   +49 631 205-3472
Germany                Mail:  leo.sauermann@dfki.de