Re: Public SWEO Challenge? (was Re: Running code)

Benjamin Nowack wrote:

>[snip]
>
> Another approach could be a small selection of projects that we would
> like to see implemented anyway and to offer contribution possibilities.
> A nice example was the w3photo project which had a fixed time-frame
> (demo/launch at www2004) and was open to anyone interested. It clearly
> needs a second iteration. We didn't achieve very much in 2004 (and
> it's now just yet another discontinued semweb project), but there was
> media coverage all over the place back then.

Can you describe, for the others, what this project was/should be? Just
to have several on deck...

> And to be honest, I think the main reason why there are not many
> semweb apps available is not the lack of interest or ideas, but the
> lack of learning how to build them with rdf infrastructure, i.e. *if*
> we ran a challenge that resulted in the ultimate show-case, we should
> publish it with step-by-step documentation so that people learn how
> to build their own.

+1. No, +1000:-)

>                       Most of the support requests I get for my little
> toolkit are not about the toolkit itself, but about sparql examples,
> striping, uri generation, graph management, which vocabs to pick, and
> similar general implementation issues. Instead of "challenging" the
> early adopters, I think I'd rather like to pave paths a bit more. I
> met Gartner's former Research VP this year and one of the main
> problems wrt to the SemWeb's uptake he named was "missing experts".

That is an interesting point. In some ways, I prefer that problem than
missing tools...

> We could perhaps challenge the toolkit maintainers to create hands-on
> guides for their tool for given use cases, à la. "how to build a foo
> with bar in 10 steps" and then offer a price for the first
> maintainer + non-RDFer team to develop a working UI/app... Hmm, I
> guess that can be filed under "WildIdeas"  ;)

:-) Not that wild... But I would rather say: the tool builders should do
a "how to build a foo" with someone else's tool. Now, that *is* a wild
idea:-)

Ivan