W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-swd-wg@w3.org > October 2007

[ALL] agenda 2 Oct telecon - 1500 UTC

From: Guus Schreiber <schreiber@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 00:15:31 +0200
Message-ID: <47017183.2010400@cs.vu.nl>
To: SWD WG <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

Agenda - Oct 2 2007 SWD telecon - 1500 UTC
W3C Semantic Web Deployment Working Group
   http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/
   Tuesday, 1500 UTC
     0800 Seattle
     1100 Boston
     1600 London
     1700 Amsterdam
   Phone
     Boston: +1-617-761-6200
     Nice: +33-4-8906-3499
     Bristol: +44-117-370-6152
   Conference code 79394# ('SWDWG')
   IRC irc://irc.w3.org:6665/swd Web-based IRC 
(member-only)

Chair: Guus Schreiber
Scribe: Ed, Clay on deck
     (see 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/ScribeDuty)
Regrets: Diego

Attendance of SWD WG telecons is restricted to 
registered WG
participants and persons invited by the chairs.

====================================================================== 



1. ADMIN (10 min) 
---------------------------------------

Minutes PROPOSED to accept minutes of 25 Sep telecon:
http://www.w3.org/2007/09/25-swd-minutes.html

Upcoming telecons next telecons:
   face-to-face on 8-9 Oct (also a telecon!)

Face-to-face meeting - Amsterdam - October 8-9 2007
   -- Logistics http://www.few.vu.nl/~aisaac/swd/
   -- Draft agenda 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/AmsterdamAgenda
   -- Registration
 
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/39408/swd-ftf-adam-registration/
   ACTION: all to register (indicate also that 
you're not planning to
   attend and/or want to attend via telecon)

Roll call for attendance as of 2007-09-21:
   WG members: Tom, Guus, Diego, Ed, Justin, 
Antoine, Jon, Alistair, Ralph, Sean
   Guests: Steven Pemberton (RDFa), Mark Birbeck 
(RDFa), Ivan Herman
   By irc/telecon: Elisa, Ben, Michael, Simone

======================================================================
2. SWD review of "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web"
-- 
https://gnowsis.opendfki.de/repos/gnowsis/papers/2006_11_concepturi/html/cooluris_sweo_note.html

Review Ed:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Sep/0068.html
Review Vit:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Sep/0061.html

ACTION: Tom to write cover note to SWEO with links 
to 3 reviews and summary of main points + send to 
Working Group mailing list [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2007/09/25-swd-minutes.html#action02]


======================================================================
3. SKOS - see 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/Deliverables#SKOS

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Amsterdam agenda topic: "Label relations" (Guus)
-- Issue-26: RelationshipsBetweenLabels 
(http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/26)

ACTION: Guus to move ISSUE-26 forward [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action04]

ACTION: Guus to post user experience reports for 
ISSUE-26 [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2007/07/03-swd-minutes.html#action05]

ACTION: Alistair to state the difference between 
the two flavours of the SimpleExtension proposal 
for issue 26 [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2007/07/17-swd-minutes.html#action05]

For discussion on the telecon, from
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/AmsterdamAgenda#LabelRelations:

    Relevant issue:
     * 
[http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/26 
'''Issue-26 -
       RelationshipsBetweenLabels''' (open)]
     * Issue: SKOS allows to represent semantic 
relationships
       (broader, related) between concepts. It 
also allows
       to represent relationships between concepts 
and labels
       (prefLabel, altLabel). However, there is 
nothing proposed
       in SKOS to capture links between labels 
themselves, a
       configuration which sometimes happens in 
concept schemes.

    Required background reading:
     * 
[http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/RelationshipsBetweenLabels/ 

       SkosDesign RelationshipsBetweenLabels]

    Three options will be discussed in Amsterdam
     * 
[http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/RelationshipsBetweenLabels/ProposalFour 

       Alistair's "Minimal Label Relation" proposal]
     * 
[http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/RelationshipsBetweenLabels/ProposalThree 

       Guus "Simple Extension" proposal]
     * 
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Sep/0013.html 
Guus "remove range
       restriction for skos: prefLabel" proposal]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Amsterdam topic "Labeling properties" (Alistair)

For discussion on the telecon, from
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/AmsterdamAgenda#LabelingProperties:

  Relevant issue:
   * 
[http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/31 
'''Issue-31 - BasicLexicalLabelSemantics''' (open)]
      * Issue: Can a resource have two "preferred 
lexical
        labels"? Can a lexical label be both 
"preferred" and
        "alternative" for the same resource? If a 
lexical label
        is "hidden", can it also be "preferred" or 
"alternative"
        for the same resource?  ...

  Proposed solution:
   * 
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jun/0170.html
     Alistair, 2007-06-26]: Alistair proposes a 
section of
     the draft SKOS Semantics as a resolution for 
Issue 31 --
 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SKOS/Semantics/Labelling?action=recall&rev=5.
     "This proposal deals with the intuitive 
semantics of
     'preferred', 'alternative' and 'hidden' at 
the syntactic
     level, which avoids complicated semantics 
conditions and
     allows for error-tolerant strategies to be 
defined."

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Amsterdam topic "Semantic Relation Properties" (Sean)
-- 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/AmsterdamAgenda#SemanticRelationProperties


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Amsterdam topic "Concept Semantics" (Antoine)
-- 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/AmsterdamAgenda#ConceptSemantics

ACTION: Antoine to make wiki page or list posting 
summarizing issues for "Concept Semantics" 
[recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2007/09/18-swd-minutes.html#action07]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Amsterdam topic "Drawing the picture" - no 
discussion leader yet

ACTION: Guus to email a proposal to the list about 
Issue-36 ConceptSchemeContainment [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2007/07/24-swd-minutes.html#action01]

  Problems to discuss:
   * Are relationships part of a concept scheme?
   * Are the concepts part of a concept scheme?
   * Capture underlying intuitions: UML diagrams? 
Blobs and lines?
   * What do we mean by "containment", 
"aggregation"...?
   * Are relationships of a concept somehow part 
of the concept?
   * Can concepts "exist" independently of a scheme?
   * Goal: see how things fit together in the 
larger picture.

  Relevant issues:
   * ISSUE-36 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/36 - 
ConceptSchemeContainment (open)
   * Guus thoughts on ISSUE-36: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Jul/0164.html
   * Alistair: 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SKOS/UserStories 
useful for ISSUE-36?

  Reading:
   * 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Aug/0016.html
   * 
http://isegserv.itd.rl.ac.uk/public/ajm65/dc2007/tutorial.pdf
   * http://zthes.z3950.org/model/zthes-model-1.0.html
   * bs8273 - UML diagrams available?
   * Elisa/Clay/Ed/Jon: OMG, ISO 1087...?

======================================================================
4. RDFa - RDFa Overview document 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/RDFa/

    Teleconferences take place Mondays, 1300-1400 
UTC -    irc://irc.w3.org:6665/rdfa, conference 
code 7332# ('RDFa').
    Everyone interested in RDFa is invited to 
participate.

Telecon minutes 14 Sep:
http://www.w3.org/2007/09/14-rdfa-minutes.html

Amsterdam topic "RDFa"
-- 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/AmsterdamAgenda#RDFa

ACTION: Diego, Ed and Justin to review RDFa syntax 
document prior to f2f [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2007/09/25-swd-minutes.html#action10]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions from IPTC (Misha Wolf)
 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Sep/0023.html


======================================================================
5. RECIPES - see 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/Deliverables#Recipes

ACTION: Ralph propose resolution to ISSUE-16 
"Default behavior" 
(http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/16) -- 
formerly known as "Recipe issue 1.3" [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2007/01/22-swd-minutes.html#action14]
-- see comment: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Sep/0036.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Amsterdam topic "Recipes" (Jon)



======================================================================
6. VOCABULARY MANAGEMENT - see 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/Deliverables#VocabularyMgt

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current draft - 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/VocabMgtDraft

-- see comment: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Sep/0035.html
-- however: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Sep/0031.html

ACTION: Elisa to ask for feedback on VM draft 
[recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2007/08/21-swd-minutes.html#action06] 


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Amsterdam topic "Vocabulary Management" (Ralph 
locally, Elisa remotely)

-- Vit suggestions: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swd-wg/2007Sep/0000.html

For discussion on the telecon, from
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/AmsterdamAgenda#VM:

  To be discussed late afternoon Monday 16:00+ so 
that Elisa can join.

  Discussion points:

  1. Overall document structure, section 
requirements and status (Elisa)

  2. Ontology Version Management (Vit) --
     Versioning Questionnaire Evaluation (Vit) - 
Survey Results [1]
     Reference Implementation of RDF-based 
Ontology Versioning (Vit) - SemVersion (Knowledge 
Web EU project) [2], [3].
     Further discussion regarding versioning best 
practices based on early results of diff 
capabilities (Vit)

     [1] 
http://smile.deri.ie/limesurvey/index.php?sid=2
     [2] http://semversion.ontoware.org/kwebd233b.pdf
     [3] http://semweb4j.org/site/semversion/

     Suggested Reading:
     * 
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/VocabMgtDraft
     * 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-semweb-lifesci/2007Aug/0001.html
     * 
https://gnowsis.opendfki.de/repos/gnowsis/papers/2006_11_concepturi/html/index.html
     * 
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HCLSIG_BioRDF_Subgroup/Tasks/URI_Best_Practices
     * Daniel is liaison, SWD may be asked for 
review before publication
     * 
http://sites.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/pub/drafts/LinkedDataTutorial/

ACTION: Vit to lead discussion about Vocabulary 
Management @ f2f [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2007/09/25-swd-minutes.html#action17]


-- 
Received on Monday, 1 October 2007 22:15:45 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:07:51 UTC