RE: [MM] Status update for 2nd deliverable...

A good start would be to identify some use cases where having EXIF translated into RDF is useful. Playing devil's advocate, one can say it is just a trivial syntactic translation of one format to the other. What services can be supported once it is in RDF? Give examples.

Mike

________________________________

From: Christian Halaschek-Wiener [mailto:halasche@cs.umd.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 4:52 PM
To: Jacco van Ossenbruggen; Giorgos Stamou; Vassilis Tzouvaras; Jeff Pan; Raphaël Troncy
Cc: SWBPD list
Subject: [MM] Status update for 2nd deliverable...

Hi,

I wanted to give you all some status on the EXIF section I'm working on for the 2nd deliverable.

After looking around, I found that there are two EXIF ontologies (RDFS) currently publicly available. These include
1) http://www.w3.org/2003/12/exif/
- this is develped by Kanzaki.com and was moved to a W3C site a while back.
- it is also the one we use in PhotoStuff

2) http://nwalsh.com/rdf/
- develped by Norm Walsh

Semantically both are very similar..they are essentially straightforward encodings of the EXIF metadata tags for images (see http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF). There are some syntactic differences, but again they are quite similar.

Both developers provide an EXIF conversion service:
1) Kanzaki - http://www.kanzaki.com/test/exif2rdf
- It is essentially a simple web page, in which you can paste and image URL to an EXIF image and it will extract the EXIF metadata and convert it to RDF.

2) Norm Walsh - http://www.nwalsh.com/java/jpegrdf/
                - He provides a Java program that among other things, will read an EXIF image and covert the metadata to RDF

I haven't yet compared the output of the converters in detail yet, however upon first glance they seem similar.

As a side note, I also came across http://jigsaw.w3.org/rdfpic/ which will embed RDF in the EXIF header of JPEG files.

So, given this, I have a question...exactly how do we want to proceed and exactly what do we want to show in the 2nd deliverable. Any feedback would be great.

Cheers,
Chris

--

Christian Halaschek-Wiener