Re: The semantics of rdfs:label

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:24:46 -0400
To: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ontopia.net>
Cc: public-swbp-wg@w3.org

* Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ontopia.net> [2005-09-15 21:37+0200]

> * danbri@w3.org
> |
> | Perhaps if there were a well-known utility class, like
> | xyz:NamingProperty, we could use that instead?
>
> Like Aldo I find that to be a very good suggestion. In fact, since we
> cannot use rdfs:label in the expected way, it may well be that the
> RDFTM TF will have to create rdftm:NamingProperty. It sounds like
> this could be useful outside of just RDF<->TM interoperability, which
> is interesting.

If we (or anyone) attempts this, let's make sure to get good I18N
review; I worry that the current usage of rdfs:label is biased towards
languages where markup isn't really needed in labels, and eg Japanese
might want Ruby markup in the labels (ie. use XML Literals). But I
have only a dim sense of the deeper issues here, to be frank.

Dan