Re: [MM] patent issue

At 13:20 +0000 11/17/05, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>I have sent two more messages on this topic
>
>substantive
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/patent-issues/2005OctDec/0001
>
>procedural
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/patent-issues/2005OctDec/0002
>
>I am consulting with colleagues, and expect to make a proposal soon.
>
>Jeremy

Jeremy - the first link in the substantive document is returning an
invalid search, the second one does indeed point to a patent
application (not granted) that might effect us, but it does not seem
to directly relate to the issue of Semantic markup (it does talk to
region and annotation, but seems to me there's a lot of prior art).
In fact, since Adobe Photoshop (XMP) and all the flickr stuff would
violate the patent if it issues, I suspect there's soem interesting
politics here (I cc Danny Weitzner to make him aware of this).
  I think it would be a shame to not publish this important note
because of this issue, and think that putting in the informed
information about this as per policy (directing people to a patent
statement and mentioning these two patents) would be sufficient.   I
also note that we are not recommending specific markup vocabulary or
etc, so there is not actual item that is offered royalty free except
our advice that people consider semantic markup, so I think this is
likely a moot issue - but I look forward to hearing from Danny or
other appropriate authority
  thanks for pointing this out
  JH

--
Professor James Hendler			  Director
Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery	  	  301-405-2696