From: Raphaël Troncy [mailto:Raphael.Troncy@cwi.nl]
Sent: 02 November 2005 12:51
To: Misha Wolf
Cc: Jacco van Ossenbruggen; SWBP W3C Group
Subject: [ALL/MM]: IPTC and Images Annotation on the Semantic Web

Dear Misha,

As you may have seen, the Semantic Web Best Practices and Deployment W3C
Working Group [1] has a new task force since a couple of month dedicated
to the Annotation of Multimedia material on the Semantic Web [2]. Even
if in a longer term goal, we aim to address the annotation of any
multimedia material with Semantic Web technologies (including videos,
broadcasted TV programs, etc...), we focus in a first step on images
annotation.

In a first ongoing working draft [3], we have gathered some "typical"
use cases of "images annotation" and we try to bring some possible
solutions using semantic web technologies. One of these use cases which
seem very important for us concern all the images and photos that press
agencies have (like Reuters, AP, AFP, ...) and need to be described. We
would like thus to establish some contact with you (as the IPTC New
Metadata Framework chairman and a Reuters employee) and more generally
with IPTC to better know what are currently the requirements for this
profession, the technologies used and the needs already or not yet
fulfilled. The idea is to really stick to real use cases. Would you like
to work with us on setting up a use case about annotating news images on
the Semantic Web?

In a second working draft, we will addressed the problem of
interoperability between Semantic Web technologies and the main
(non-RDF) standards for image annotations, such as EXIF, MPEG-7 + TV
Anytime, IPTC standards, etc ... Again, we will be very glad to
cooperate with you and know if we address real problems or if we simply
go in the wrong directions.

Sincerely.

    Raphaël Troncy

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/MM/
[3]
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/MM/image_annotation_galway.html
This document will be discussed this end of week in Galway before the
next ISWC conference.

--
Raphaël Troncy
Tel: +31 (0)20 - 592 4093

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Ltd.