RDFTM: Sort keys in RDF

From: Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:37:53 +0200
To: "SWBPD list" <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>

I'm looking into the issue of variant names in the context of
RDF/Topic Maps interoperability and need help from someone with
more RDF modelling expertise.

My question relates to how one would model sort keys in RDF.

Here's an example: The resource Copenhagen (the city) has two
names, one English ("Copenhagen"), the other Danish ("KÝbenhavn").
We want to state explicitly that the latter sorts as if it were
written "K|benhavn". How would we accomplish that in RDF? Without
the sort key, I assume the following would be correct:

  @prefix rdfs:  <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
  [ rdfs:label "Copenhagen"@en;
    rdfs:label "KÝbenhavn"@dk
  ] .

Or, in RDF/XML:

  <rdf:RDF xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#"
      xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
      <rdf:Description>
          <label xml:lang="en">Copenhagen</label>
          <label xml:lang="dk">KÝbenhavn</label>
      </rdf:Description>
  </rdf:RDF>

But how would one state that "KÝbenhavn" should be sorted as
"K|benhavn"?

Steve

--
Steve Pepper <pepper@ontopia.net>