Re: [SWBP]FAQ?

Great idea.  Like all great ideas, it needs someone to execute.
Volunteers?

Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA

Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com, Web:
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/

Alan Rector <rector@cs.man.ac.uk>
Sent by: public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
03/09/2005 03:27 AM

Christopher Welty/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>, Natasha Noy
<noy@smi.stanford.edu>, swbp <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>,
public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
Subject
[SWBP]FAQ?

All
Given the number of notes, naming histories, and the fact that we will
never come up with names that are intuitive to all sectors of the
audience, would it be sensible to try to move towards a supplementary FAQ
style index, e.g.
Q: I need to refer to the classes in an ontology to describe the content
of documents, books, films, etc. What should I look at?
A: See Classes as Values (URL).
If we made providing one-to-three such questions something that each
person did when they drafted a note and then discussed them briefly, I
think we could do this with a low effort on everybody's part.  Experience
with other things suggests that such notes, particularly when used in this
way just as an index/pointers are less contentious than names and allow
several questions to point to the same resource.  They would also help
focus us on what the notes are for.
Regards
Alan

Given the
Christopher Welty wrote:

I liked the idea of naming the patterns until I saw the suggested names. I
suggest dropping this issue, I think it will take too long to come up with
good names - I disagree with most of these (some are confusing and/or
ambiguous).

-Chris
Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA
Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
Email: welty@watson.ibm.com, Web:
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/

"Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>
Sent by: public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
03/07/2005 09:09 PM

"Natasha Noy" <noy@smi.stanford.edu>, "swbp" <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>
cc
Christopher Welty/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
Subject
RE: [OEP] new Editor's draft of classes as values available

Natasha,
Thanks for having a go at naming the approaches. Tough job.  I looked at
my original review notes which focused on WHAT EXACTLY IS THE VALUE OF
WHAT PROPERTY.  This is the essential thing that distinguishes each
approach. So, my names suggest answers to that question for each.
And the NEW SUGGESTION IS:
1.                 classes as values [the direct approach]
2.                 class instances as values
3.                 parallel classes instances as values
4.                 implicit class instances as values
5.                 classes as annotation property values
I think these are all accurate, getting to the heart of the matter, and
are reasonably short.
What do you think?
Your suggestions:
1. Classes directly as property values
2. Parallel set of individuals for property values
3. Parallel hierarchy of individuals for property values
4. Classes with value restrictions as types
5. Classes as values for annotation properties
My notes...
o                 1:  the actual class, e.g. Lion
the relationship of this value to the class Lion is identity (it IS the
class)
o                 2:  an instance (called LionSubject) of the class: Lion
denoting
the subject of Lions.
The relationship of this value to the class, Lion is: rdf:Type (or
instance)
o                 3:  an instance (called LionSubject) of the class:
Subject
denoting the subject of Lions.
LionSubject is related to the class Lion via an rdf:seeAlso link.
o                 4: an [implicit] unidentified instance of the class
Lion.
The relationship of this [nonexistent implicit] value to the class Lion
is rdf:type
o                 5: the actual class, e.g. Lion
the relationship of this value to the class Lion is identity (it IS the
class)
NB: this is identical to approach 1. The difference is that the property
is an annotation property.