Re: [SWBP]FAQ?

Alan Rector wrote:

> All
>
> Given the number of notes, naming histories, and the fact that we will
> never come up with names that are intuitive to all sectors of the
> audience, would it be sensible to try to move towards a supplementary
> FAQ style index, e.g.
>
> Q: I need to refer to the classes in an ontology to describe the content
> of documents, books, films, etc. What should I look at?
>
> A: See Classes as Values (URL).
>
> If we made providing one-to-three such questions something that each
> person did when they drafted a note and then discussed them briefly, I
> think we could do this with a low effort on everybody's part.
> Experience with other things suggests that such notes, particularly when
> used in this way just as an index/pointers are less contentious than
> names and allow several questions to point to the same resource.  They
> would also help focus us on what the notes are for.

Good idea, such a FAQ roadmap. I would suggest to start this activity
only once we have freed some resources from TFs finishing their work.
I'm a bit worried about trying to do too many thugs at the same time.

Guus

> [...]
>> to come up with good names - I disagree with most of these (some are
>> confusing and/or ambiguous).
>>

>> -Chris
>>
>> Dr. Christopher A. Welty, Knowledge Structures Group
>> IBM Watson Research Center, 19 Skyline Dr., Hawthorne, NY  10532     USA
>> Voice: +1 914.784.7055,  IBM T/L: 863.7055, Fax: +1 914.784.7455
>> Email: welty@watson.ibm.com, Web:
>> http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty/
>>

>> "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@boeing.com>
>> Sent by: public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org
>>
>> 03/07/2005 09:09 PM

>> 	"Natasha Noy" <noy@smi.stanford.edu>, "swbp" <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>
>> cc
>> 	Christopher Welty/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
>> Subject
>> 	RE: [OEP] new Editor's draft of classes as values available
>>

>> Natasha,
>>
>> Thanks for having a go at naming the approaches. Tough job.  I looked at
>> my original review notes which focused on WHAT EXACTLY IS THE VALUE OF
>> WHAT PROPERTY.  This is the essential thing that distinguishes each
>> approach. So, my names suggest answers to that question for each.
>>
>> And the NEW SUGGESTION IS:
>> 1.                 classes as values [the direct approach]
>> 2.                 class instances as values
>> 3.                 parallel classes instances as values
>> 4.                 implicit class instances as values
>> 5.                 classes as annotation property values
>>
>> I think these are all accurate, getting to the heart of the matter, and
>> are reasonably short.
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Your suggestions:
>>
>> 1. Classes directly as property values
>> 2. Parallel set of individuals for property values
>> 3. Parallel hierarchy of individuals for property values
>> 4. Classes with value restrictions as types
>> 5. Classes as values for annotation properties
>>
>> My notes...
>>
>> o                 1:  the actual class, e.g. Lion
>> the relationship of this value to the class Lion is identity (it IS the
>> class)
>> o                 2:  an instance (called LionSubject) of the class:
>> Lion denoting
>> the subject of Lions.
>> The relationship of this value to the class, Lion is: rdf:Type (or
>> instance)
>> o                 3:  an instance (called LionSubject) of the class:
>> Subject
>> denoting the subject of Lions.
>> LionSubject is related to the class Lion via an rdf:seeAlso link.
>> o                 4: an [implicit] unidentified instance of the class
>> Lion.
>> The relationship of this [nonexistent implicit] value to the class Lion
>> is rdf:type
>> o                 5: the actual class, e.g. Lion
>> the relationship of this value to the class Lion is identity (it IS the
>> class)
>> NB: this is identical to approach 1. The difference is that the property

Tel: +31 20 598 7739/7718
E-mail: schreiber@cs.vu.nl
Home page: http://www.cs.vu.nl/~guus/