Re: [OEP] Other QCR approaches

public-swbp-wg-request@w3.org wrote on 06/09/2005 02:57:15 PM:
> 4) decouple a DAML+OIL-like typed QCR into allValuesFrom + OWL QCR. This
is not
> applicable to any of Alan's use cases btw, but only in simpler cases.
For example:

> A typical date (as a meeting btw two prospective lovers) has exactly two
participants ->

> Class(TypicalDate
>     subClassOf(Restriction(
>       hasParticipant) cardinality(2)))
>     subClassOf(Restriction(
>       hasFinger allValuesFrom(Person))))

Assuming you mean "hasParticipant" instead of "hasFinger" (which would be
a very atypical date indeed), I have no idea what you are claiming here.
This is just a regular allvaluesfrom restriction.  QCRs come into play
when you want to say something like a "typical date has exactly two
participants and exactly one is male and exactly one is female".  Your
example, at least, does not demonstrate QCRs at all.

> I also apply sometimes a reified approach:
>
> 5a) reify cardinality as a property, for example:
>
> DatatypeProperty(reifiedCardinality
>    range(xsd:int))
>
> Class(NormalHand
>     subClassOf(Restriction(
>         hasPart someValuesFrom (intersectionOf
>          Finger
>          Restriction(
>           reifiedCardinality oneOf(5)))))

do you mean oneOf(4)?

>     subClassOf(Restriction(
>         hasPart someValuesFrom (intersectionOf
>          Thumb
>          Restriction(
>           reifiedCardinality oneOf(5))))))

do you mean oneOf(1)?

Why would you do this?  You get nothing from it other than a way to "hide"
the QCR from OWL completely.  You would have to build your own inference
engine that knew something about this kind of cardinality.  You can't
write axioms in OWL to give you the behavior you want, and you couldn't
conclude with a standard OWL reasoner, for example, that a hand with four
fingers and a thumb is a normalHand.

> 5b) reify cardinality as a property, and reify the Q(C)R as a class, for
example:

> Class(NormalHandedness
>     subClassOf(Restriction(
>       settingFor someValuesFrom(intersectionOf
>        Hand
>        Restriction(
>         hasPart someValuesFrom(Finger)
>        Restriction(
>         hasPart someValuesFrom(Thumb))
>     subClassOf(Restriction(
>       settingFor someValuesFrom(intersectionOf
>        Finger
>        Restriction(
>         reifiedCardinality oneOf(5)))))
>     subClassOf(Restriction(
>       settingFor someValuesFrom(intersectionOf
>        Thumb
>        Restriction(
>         reifiedCardinality oneOf(5)))))
>     subClassOf(Restriction(
>       settingFor cardinality(6))))

This is totally confusing.  If you really think you have a valid alternate
approach, can you verify that your example conveys what you intend, where
did the "6" come from???? What is "settingFor" supposed to denote?
"Handedness" in (at least US) English refers to which hand is dominant
(i.e. "right handed" or "left handed").  I assume that is NOT what you
mean here, but for the life of me I can't tell what you DO mean.

-Chris