Re: Thoughts on cleaning up SVG 1.1 for Second Edition

On Sunday, March 29, 2009, 6:28:45 AM, Cameron wrote:

CM> Hi everyone.

CM> I think we should remove the DTD fragments from the main chapters of SVG
CM> 1.1 for the Second Edition.  They are difficult to read, sometimes
CM> incomplete (compared to the ones included in SVG 1.0) and are
CM> distracting, IMO.  I’ve been working on build scripts to get 1.1 2ed
CM> publication working and experimenting with a clearer summary of
CM> elements.  Here’s an example:

CM>   http://mcc.id.au/temp/struct.html

CM> Those blue boxes used in place of the DTD fragments are similar to the
CM> green boxes in the HTML 5 spec.

Oh, thats so much better.

The SVG 1.0 DTD was just about readable, the modularised SVG 1.1 DTD was a spaghetti mess of conditional cross references and fake namespace hackery, and the SVG 1.2 RBG fragments are not super-readable either.

These are much nicer. What do you start from, RNG?

CM> I’ve also got links to the relevant DOM interface in those blue boxes,
CM> and in the IDL definitions section, the types and names in the IDL code
CM> are linked to their definitions.

CM> Not sure what to do with the DTD fragment in
CM> http://mcc.id.au/temp/struct.html#xlinkRefAttrs since the prose talks
CM> about the entities.  Maybe we could just remove that paragraph too.

Having looked at it, the entities are merely of relevance to how the DTD is constructed and do not affact actual content, so i think they should be removed.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG