Re: OpenGIS entry in references

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 14:48:04 +0200
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
CC: public-svg-wg@w3.org

On Friday, September 5, 2008, 7:27:20 AM, Cameron wrote:

CM> Hello WG.

CM> The [Open Geospatial Coordinate System] entry in the References appendix
CM> is to a broken link.

This keeps happening. Last time, we updated it to their current link, and i mailed them an explained about the need for stabble references. But it seems they often rearrange their website, and also remove older versions of specs. So the links keep breaking.

CM>   I found a more recent version of that document,
CM> here:

CM>   http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=1012

CM> However, it is listed on
CM> http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/deprecated as being a deprecated
CM> standard.  It’s not clear to me what successor is the current standard.
CM> Perhaps it would be incompatible with the descriptions and markup used
CM> in 7.14 and 7.15 of the Coordinates chapter.

Looks like we need to contact them again.

On the other hand, perhaps the JIS standardisation of this is a more stable reference for us to use.

 Technical Director, Interaction Domain
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead