Guide for referencing W3C TRs

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 16:32:44 +1000
To: public-svg-wg@w3.org

Hello WG.

I notice that some links to W3C technical reports use “this version”
URLs while others use “latest version” URLs.  For example, various links
in the Animation chapter explicitly link to /TR/2005/REC-SMIL2-20051213/
while links in the Scripting chapter to definitions in XML Events use
/TR/xml-events/Overview.html.  In the uDOM appendix, references to DOM
Level 3 Core are inconsistent (some use /TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html,
others use /TR/DOM-Level-3-Core/core.html).

The W3C Manual of Style suggests:

  Unless intentionally referring to the latest document in a series,
  always refer to specific W3C documents by using the “this version”
  URI.
   — http://www.w3.org/2001/06/manual/#Linking

Should we follow this?  Are there any particular references in the spec
that need to be to “latest version” URLs?

Thanks,

Cameron