W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-svg-wg@w3.org > July to September 2008

Minutes, 24 July 2008 SVG telcon

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:09:09 +0200
Message-ID: <764344229.20080724140909@w3.org>
To: SVG WG <public-svg-wg@w3.org>

Hello all,

Minutes are at
http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html

and below as text for bots

                   SVG Working Group Teleconference

24 Jul 2008

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008JulSep/0084.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Erik, Doug, Chris, Cameron, Tony

   Regrets
   Chair
          Erik

   Scribe
          Chris

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]test-fest
         2. [6]SVG in HTML
         3. [7]CSS 3 Color
         4. [8]Test coverage / action status update
         5. [9]getBBox tests
         6. [10]Question about getURL() (SVGT 1.2)
         7. [11]ISSUE-2004
         8. [12]SVG Effects For CSS
     * [13]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________



   <trackbot> Date: 24 July 2008

   <ed_> [14]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/actions/2054
   close?

     [14] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/actions/2054

   <scribe> ScribeNick: ChrisL

   <scribe> Scribe: Chris

test-fest

   [15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008JulSep/007
   5.html

     [15] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008JulSep/0075.html

   ED: Andrew confirmed they can host, asks for resolution to agree to
   the location

   (no objections)

   Resolved: Test Fest will be held in Ottawa, 29 Sept - 2 Oct

SVG in HTML

   [16]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008JulSep/007
   7.html

     [16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2008JulSep/0077.html

   [17]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/ (various
   feedback)

     [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/

   ED: The location of the test fest shuld be announced btw. AE is on
   vacation

   DS: I can announce it

   ED: Lets ask for a front page news item

   <scribe> ACTION: Doug talk to Ian Jacobs about wide announcement of
   test fest including front page news item [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2114 - Talk to Ian Jacobs about wide
   announcement of test fest including front page news item [on Doug
   Schepers - due 2008-07-31].

   ED: OK back to SVG in HTML. Ian responded to our proposal. Made upa
   broken example and says it works fdifferently in our proposal

   CL: his ecxample is contrived, while his proposal invalidated large
   amnounts of existing valid content produced by common authoring
   tools

   ED; In the above mail I gave 2 examples, replace p with a or add a
   metadata then what do you expect?

   scribe: confident there is little content actually existing which
   are broken in that particular way

   DS: He has searched for that one example, clearly. He claims it will
   become a more common error once people copy it

   CL: Its important to preserve the large amount of existing content
   9eg, stuff with metadata) which works. Occasional screwcases that
   dont work anyway in existing browsers are much less important and
   there are a lot less of them

   ED: I will convey this to the HTML WG

   DS; What we really want is SVG in all the major browsers, including
   IE

   ED: OpenAjax Alliance poll put SVG in top position of desirable
   features

   CL: Its interesting that it scored so highly, above specifically
   ajax-related things

   ED: Chris Wilson posted with questions on how the dom works, thought
   the proposal was clear, we could explain more that its the same
   document and the same dom

   CL: Either clarify if its unclear, or point to the current wording
   in a clarificatory followup

   CMcC; They are comparing it to xml islands, so thats how I responded

   DS: Single tree, dom gets the methods from both html and svg

   <scribe> ACTION: Erik respond to the messages on SVG in HTML, making
   it cleaer that its the same DOM - if needed update the proposal too
   [recorded in
   [19]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action02]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2115 - Respond to the messages on SVG in
   HTML, making it cleaer that its the same DOM - if needed update the
   proposal too [on Erik Dahlström - due 2008-07-31].

CSS 3 Color

   [20]http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/

     [20] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/

   CL: They removed flavor which is good, and color management via CSS
   which is unfortunate but since its untestable this is understandable

   <scribe> ACTION: Chris review css 3 color and report back to SVG WG
   [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action03]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2116 - Review css 3 color and report back
   to SVG WG [on Chris Lilley - due 2008-07-31].

   ED: Firefox support the HSL colours syntax in svg too, we could
   adopt it later

   CL: If they do RGBA, we really need to test that in combination with
   opacity

Test coverage / action status update

   [22]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/wiki/TestCoverage

     [22] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Group/wiki/TestCoverage

   [23]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/Tiny_12

     [23] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/Tiny_12

   The other requiredFonts test is in progress but not yet ready for
   review

   DS: Added two extra switch tests

   ED: I added some tests for script handler and listener, three tests
   added to table to be reviewed
   ... still some untested assertions
   ... its a good increase in coverage for the scripting section

   CL: Doug could you take the class attr test? it just needs some
   class attr, with and without spaces, then check they are in the dom
   (test on full string, perhaps on substrings too to allow for
   collapsing of multiple spaces)
   ... Its just testing its in the DOM

   ED: Reviewers for my three tests?

   <ed_> [24]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/Tiny_12

     [24] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/wiki/Tiny_12

   CL; I will add my tests there too

   ED: script-listener-204-t.svg, script-listener-203-t.svg,
   script-handler-203-t.svg

   CMcC: I can do those three, Can you do mine?

   CL: Reviewer for struct-cond-208-t

   DS: I can do that one

   <heycam> ed_, my three tests for you to review are
   udom-svg-{238,239,240}-t

   DS: I can do struct-cond-211-t as wel once its finished

   <ed_> ACTION: ed to review udom-svg-{238,239,240}-t [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action04]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2117 - Review udom-svg-{238,239,240}-t [on
   Erik Dahlström - due 2008-07-31].

   <heycam> ACTION: cameron to review script-listener-20[$1\47]-t and
   script-handle-203-t [recorded in
   [26]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action05]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2118 - Review script-listener-20[$1\47]-t
   and script-handle-203-t [on Cameron McCormack - due 2008-07-31].

   <scribe> ACTION: Doug review struct-cond-208 and struct-cond-211
   requiredFonts tests [recorded in
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action06]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2119 - Review struct-cond-208 and
   struct-cond-211 requiredFonts tests [on Doug Schepers - due
   2008-07-31].

   That swiss implementation which does SVGT1.2 including SVG video
   looks interesting, and they are keep to take part in the test fest

getBBox tests

   [28]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0149.html

     [28] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0149.html

   <scribe> ACTION: Doug to thank Julien Reichel and get him to execute
   the test contribution agreement [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action07]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2120 - Thank Julien Reichel and get him to
   execute the test contribution agreement [on Doug Schepers - due
   2008-07-31].

   DS: This is the nice thing about working in public. Didn't I make
   tests for bbox already?

   ED: Yes, check they have been added. BitFlash also contributed some

Question about getURL() (SVGT 1.2)

   [30]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0151.html

     [30] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0151.html

   CL: For XML the implementation should of course be allowed to look
   at the BOM and xml encoding declaration to see what the encoding is,
   if the http charset parameter is missing. Should not be forced to
   treat as us-ascii

   <heycam> CM: is the current wording meant to preclude using getURL()
   with non-text/* content-types?

   <heycam> CM: or does it just say "if the content-type *is* text/*,
   then decode it in this way"?

   <ed_>
   [31]http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/svgudom.html#svg__AsyncURLStatu
   s

     [31] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/svgudom.html#svg__AsyncURLStatus

   <scribe> ACTION: Chris respond to Julien on
   [32]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0151.html re
   getURL [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action08]

     [32] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0151.html

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2121 - Respond to Julien on
   [34]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0151.html re
   getURL [on Chris Lilley - due 2008-07-31].

     [34] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0151.html

   <ed_>
   [35]http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/publish/svgudom.html#svg__As
   yncURLStatus

     [35] http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.2T/publish/svgudom.html#svg__AsyncURLStatus

   CMcC: Check current spec

   ED: (checks spec on content property for async url)

   DOMstring is UTF-16 so some bit patterns are not allowed

   CMcC: But that is not checked by implementations

   CL: Will send draft here first for checking

ISSUE-2004

   [36]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2004

     [36] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2004

   close ISSUE-2004

   trackbot, close ISSUE-2004

   <trackbot> Sorry, ChrisL, I don't understand 'trackbot, close
   ISSUE-2004'. Please refer to
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc for help

     [37] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc

   ED: Do we have tests for this ? Yes it was based on a test case, but
   float is not tested eg SVGMatix

   <scribe> ACTION: Cameron write a test for passing Nan and inf to
   methods in udom that take floats [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action09]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2122 - Write a test for passing Nan and
   inf to methods in udom that take floats [on Cameron McCormack - due
   2008-07-31].

SVG Effects For CSS

   <shepazu>
   [39]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0146.html
   [40]http://people.mozilla.com/~roc/SVG-CSS-Effects-Draft.html

     [39] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0146.html
     [40] http://people.mozilla.com/~roc/SVG-CSS-Effects-Draft.html

   DS: Bert said this is low prioroty for CSS, but it seems
   interesting. perhaps bring it to CDF?
   ... look like low hanging fruit and currently being implemented

   ED: He is willing to be an editor

   CL: This is good stuff, i like this draft

   DS: Would we want this as a module?

   ED: Yes. Element synntax is perhaps controvertial

   Resolved: Bring 'SVG effects for CSS' into SVG if CSS does not want
   to take it on, and bring in RoCas editor

   <scribe> ACTION: Doug tell RoC we are interested to take on SVG
   Effects for CSS [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action10]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-2123 - Tell RoC we are interested to take
   on SVG Effects for CSS [on Doug Schepers - due 2008-07-31].

   ED: adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: cameron to review script-listener-20[$1\47]-t and
   script-handle-203-t [recorded in
   [42]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Cameron write a test for passing Nan and inf to
   methods in udom that take floats [recorded in
   [43]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action09]
   [NEW] ACTION: Chris respond to Julien on
   [44]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0151.html re
   getURL [recorded in
   [45]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: Chris review css 3 color and report back to SVG WG
   [recorded in
   [46]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Doug review struct-cond-208 and struct-cond-211
   requiredFonts tests [recorded in
   [47]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action06]
   [NEW] ACTION: Doug talk to Ian Jacobs about wide announcement of
   test fest including front page news item [recorded in
   [48]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Doug tell RoC we are interested to take on SVG Effects
   for CSS [recorded in
   [49]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action10]
   [NEW] ACTION: Doug to thank Julien Reichel and get him to execute
   the test contribution agreement [recorded in
   [50]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: ed to review udom-svg-{238,239,240}-t [recorded in
   [51]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: Erik respond to the messages on SVG in HTML, making it
   cleaer that its the same DOM - if needed update the proposal too
   [recorded in
   [52]http://www.w3.org/2008/07/24-svg-minutes.html#action02]

     [44] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2008Jul/0151.html

   [End of minutes]

  

-- 
 Chris Lilley                    mailto:chris@w3.org
 Interaction Domain Leader
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG
Received on Thursday, 24 July 2008 12:09:48 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:20:09 UTC