Re: Agenda Request: SVG WG Review of XHTML Access Module

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 04:43:00 -0700
To: W3C SVG Public Working Group <public-svg-wg@w3.org>

Hi, SVG-

I had a few more thoughts on the XHTML Access Module [1] ...

* just as a reminder, we discussed that it doesn't seem intuitive that
the targetrole and targetid lists are unordered, but rely solely on
document order.  For SVG in particular, document order is of a different
nature than in XHTML; it determines the stacking order, not the
sequential order.  A way for the author to control the tabbing order,
such as another optional attribute, would be useful, like: attribute
'order' = "document* | list", where "list" sets the tabbing order to a
strict sequence determined by the order of the values in targetrole and
targetid.

* "The element defined in this specification MAY be incorporated into
the namespace of the host language, or it MAY remain in the XHTML
namespace."  Just as a note, this is a critical statement in the Host
Language Conformance section, in order for SVG to effectively use this
specification; we intend to incorporate it directly into our language.
Please keep this section intact, and use the same or similar wording in
all such specifications intended for possible integration with a host
language.

* "Finally, XHTML Access requires the availability of the XHTML Role
Attribute Module ... and of the Core Attribute Collection as defined in
XHTML Modularization."  This is a problem, since the Core Attribute
Collection [2] lists:
  xml:space ("default"* | "preserve"), class (NMTOKENS), id (ID), title
(CDATA)

SVG doesn't have a 'title' attribute, and in fact, that is a less
accessible option than what SVG does have, which is the <title> element.

* Please provide a Relax-NG schema.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-xhtml-access-20080526/
[2]
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-modularization/abstract_modules.html#s_core_collection