Re: Solid: An Explainer

čt 23. 11. 2023 v 13:04 odesílatel Harshvardhan J. Pandit <me@harshp.com>
napsal:

> Hi.
> FWIW, I request that the language regarding 'privacy' be broader than
> 'access to data'. See suggestions below.
>
> On 23/11/2023 09:31, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> > *Data Management with Solid*
> > Solid enables users to store their personal data in online data stores,
> > known as Pods. These Pods are controlled entirely by the user, who can
> > grant or revoke access to applications as desired. This separation of
> > data from applications allows for greater user autonomy over their
> > personal information.
>
> 1) "These Pod are controlled entirely by the user" - What about cases
> where Solid Pods are 'provided' to the user with ability to manage data
> but NOT manage the pod or move it to a different provider etc. Or cases
> where data may not be under the user's control i.e. they can access it
> but cannot manage it or only can approve specific applications and not
> others. Should such cases not be called 'Solid'?
>
> 2) "who can grant or revoke access to applications" - Pods are about
> controlling/managing data and the language should reflect this. E.g.
> "who can control the storing and usage of data by applications". By not
> using the line 'grant or revoke access' I am avoiding reducing autonomy
> to take it or leave it type situations based on solely on
> access/gatekeeping.
>

> >       Security and Privacy in Solid
> >
> > *Data Control and Privacy*
> > One of Solid's key features is its emphasis on user-controlled data
> > privacy. Users have the authority to manage who can access their data,
> > enhancing privacy and data security on the web.
> >

> Same as above, "users have the authority to manage who can access and
> how it will be used and shared with others..." - the "how it will be
> used and shared with others" is the key part to not just stop at having
> access to data but also managing the who and why aspects of it being used.

Any thoughts on how the text could change?  How about:

"Data Control and Privacy

A hallmark of Solid is its focus on user-directed data privacy. This goes
beyond simply managing access to data. Users possess the authority not only
to decide who can access their data but also to determine how it is used
and shared with others. This expanded scope of control emphasizes the
importance of understanding both the "who" and the "why" in data usage,
thus enhancing privacy and data security on the web. This approach aligns
with Solid's vision of a more user-centric web experience, where
individuals have a significant say in the lifecycle of their data."

If you have some suggestions I can change the text.