Re: files or database for solid pods [Was: Towards Solid Lite]

Quoting Nathan Rixham (2023-11-01 13:07:22)
> On Wed, Nov 1, 2023 at 10:25 AM Aron Homberg <info@aron-homberg.de> wrote:
>
> > > Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk> hat am 01.11.2023 16:56 WITA
> > geschrieben:
> > > Classic HTTP also didn't mandate GIF, and we can be thankful for that.
> > If we try to find a comparison here, let's maybe compare protocols with
> > protocols, not file formats. I'll pick HTTP for simplicity.
> >

> Perhaps consider HTML as the example instead, HTTP+URL+HTML = web of
> documents, if there was a requirement that any HTML document must be
> abstracted out of a concrete syntax and implementers of websites
> MUST/SHOULD also accept and respond with a PDF, and an RTF document, and
> four other archaic low use document types, then perhaps that is a fairer
> comparison.

Thanks, this framing is helpful to me, and I now better see the argument
for mandating a format.  But...

I disagree that web of documents is HTTP+URL+HTML.

To me it is HTTP+URL+[some hyperlink-capable document markup+rendering].

Simplifying to use HTML describes only a subset of the web, and

> Pivot back, and we get HTTP+URL+[ONE-THING] = web of data.
> What is the most widely utilized data bearing media type on the broad
> internet / web? JSON
> How do you make it more webby? add first class support for URLs
> How do you make it widely understandable in a shared manner? add GETable
> schema's.

Seems we disagree on the very goal.

I agree that with a goal of "web of data" the natural choice is
replacing document-oriented HTML with efficiently-memory-dumpable JSON.

I just assume the different goal of "web of semantic data", where the
natural ONE-THING is not JSON but RDF.

RDF is a ONE-THING with multiple serializations, and I really thought
that we all along agreed that this discussion was about which of the RDF
serializations, not about ditching RDF altogether.

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones