Re: Vocabulary 'tutorial'?

hello harry.

On 2015-03-22 21:12, Harry Halpin wrote:
> In terms of creating new vocabularies, an online tutorial would be good
> as well. However, like many Semantic Web efforts, the tooling is still
> in a pretty primitive state.

i am wondering if/why semantic tooling would even be required. if we say
that AS2 is JSON-based, then there's no requirement to define new
vocabularies with RDF, correct? semantic tooling would be necessary for
those who *want* to use it, but that would be outside of AS's scope.

https://github.com/dret/ASDL/blob/master/0.1/subVerb-asdl.md
demonstrates the approach we've been taking: use a structured format for
documenting vocabularies, without requiring one specific formalism how
to formally describe them.

https://github.com/dret/ASDL/blob/master/0.1/ASDL.md is the simple
language we're using, and the idea is that people can use what they feel
comfortable with, and what they need. people who want to describe their
vocabulary in RDF can do so, and distilling ASDL from such a vocabulary
would be trivial. people who have no need for RDF are free to do what
AS1 did, just using text specifications.

the approach follows the idea of https://github.com/dret/sedola, which
has the same idea of providing a basic documentation harness (in the
case of sedola it's used for for media types, HTTP link headers and link
relation types), without forcing people to subscribe to a single
modeling framework that's required to formally describe these things.

as an experiment, i have created sedola documentation for many W3C and
IETF specs, and despite the fact that these are using different (and
often no) formalisms, this still results in a useful list of the
concepts that matter:

* https://github.com/dret/sedola/blob/master/MD/mediatypes.md
* https://github.com/dret/sedola/blob/master/MD/headers.md
* https://github.com/dret/sedola/blob/master/MD/linkrels.md

cheers,

dret.

--
erik wilde | mailto:dret@berkeley.edu  -  tel:+1-510-2061079 |
            | UC Berkeley  -  School of Information (ISchool) |