Re: Banff demo

Sorry for the grammar in my last post folks- fast fingers and spell check +
on the run = gibberish.

I may be able to finally add some value to the discussion, and am happy to
assist with papers, demo, or anywhere else if I can add value. I don't do
much coding these days, but I am an expert (if anyone is-questionable) on
e-commerce, e-learning, economic modeling and adoption with several notable
firsts coming out of our small shop since '95 (don't be first- martyrdom is
tough on loved ones). I just filed a patent amendment to our Kyield system
so it will hopefully be published soon for anyone with deeper interest-
brings together over a decade of work, much of which is relative to this
thread.

Regarding sources- While I review a fair volume in my VC work, I don't
consider myself an expert in LS R&D, much less any of the dozens of
specialties within the broad area of study- they should be the primary voice
on sources needed. I have received correspondence however that suggests talk
and some pressure recently on the FDA in making more of their data available
(from academia and corp.), which apparently many believe would accelerate
prevention and therapy if not cures on many fronts. So that would be one
huge example in the public sector. But we can expect that as has been the
case all along, when it comes to intelligent data representing knowledge,
much of it will remain private. The medium threatens many industries
(whether real or imagined the result is similar), and the battles have been
brutal at times.

We have two primary interests and goals here from my perspective:

1) Immediate- demonstrating the acceleration of R&D within the broad and
highly complex environment known as life science. It's pretty clear to me
and most engaged here (apparently) that ontological languages are already
playing an essential role in this goal, but the combination of lack of
sources (Alan Brain Institute addressed as shown in your example- $100
million), trained technicians, and adoption of standards remain challenges.

For drug development and genomics among others, we know that high volume
data manipulation and collaboration can and do lead to accelerated
discovery. A big part of the problem is one of culture, which is the most
important aspect of knowledge systems in my and others' view. On one hand we
have sub-cultures that will share anything and destroy organizations- and
even cost the lives of large numbers of people, while on the other extreme
we have sub-cultures that are so intent on protecting agency turf that it
creates the same result. Both of these extremes have been evident within the
same broader U.S. Government over the past few years as partial causes of
major disasters- an excellent body of case history. I have made the argument
with members of congress, agency heads, CIOs, etc. that our Kyield system
could have prevented same, simply due to embracing more intelligent systems
as discussed here in combination with equally intelligent organizational
design. Lots of talk- little action.

So I argue in enterprise architecture to manage culture intelligently first
and always. Otherwise the tools won't be used properly if used at all, and
once cultures deteriorate sufficiently then a negative spiral of decision
making can occur- and that can be catastrophic- in any type of organization.

My guess is that even private life science companies could share far more
data safely than many believe, within the right structure of course. But as
my old friend and colleague Russell Borland said a decade ago in one of our
GWIN forums on the topic- free only works if everything is free. Sacrifice
and investment need compensation as bills need to be paid. Structure
matters.

One of the main themes currently in life sciences in the VC world is an
attempt to show the giants that collaboration with smaller firms would be a
more intelligent path. I'm thinking that this specific target would be ripe
for this type of demo perhaps in showing how a similar collaboration between
entities can actually lead to a hypothetical discovery.

This WG is I think doing an excellent job of helping to demonstrate the
potential for acceleration of solutions with a more intelligent web, whether
public, private, or some combination thereof. And I think that life science
is among the best communities to target the broader technology for adoption.
The industry cluster has serious problems that affect us all, not least of
which is that it requires $1 billion to bring the average drug to market,
meaning that very few can even begin the journey, and also very likely that
most affective therapies die long before potential value can be known.

2) Mid-term- demonstrating to other clusters, including multi-disciplinary,
the value of semantic technologies to life science that can then be applied
to their industry or discipline. Based on my own discussions with a couple
of other industry leaders, I'd say we have a lot left to be done to show the
value relative to their perceived needs.

One additional comment- the cost of entry is not what matters to those of us
with battle scars in IT investment. What matters is total cost of ownership,
scale, and sustainability in order to achieve the objective.

- .02, MM