Re: relationships between parts, molecules, and cells in BAMS

John B.

This question of parts and their relationship with a whole has been
addressed in other venues, especially in ISO 10303 which deals with product
data exchange. I think Part 41 addressed some of the issues.

Briefly, and I am relying on my memory here, the idea was that a whole could
be put together many different ways and decomposed many different ways.
Parts could be described as a "bag" with an arbitrary number of instances
that are used in the whole, e.g., a sandwich could have 0,1 or more pieces
of cheese, 0,1 more pieces of ham, etc. Or a "set" in which one of each
instance of the set must occur in the whole, e.g., a car has four and only
four wheels. Or an "array" [I think that was the name] in which the
instances of the array were put together in a specific order, e.g. take an
ethanol molecule then add an hydroxyl group. There was some pretty powerful
thinking that went into this, so it might be worth looking at.

ISO 10303 is a pretty expensive standard, but a copy of the relevant
sections probably can be obtained from someone still at NIST, which I left
about 3 years ago.

John Rumble
Vice President
Information International Associates
Oak Ridge TN
www.infointl.com
jrumble@iiaweb.com
jumbleusa@earthlink.net
301 963 7903 (Home Office in Gaithersburg MD)
301 502 5729 (Cell)
865 298 1251 (Oak Ridge Office)