Re: Ontology editor + why RDF?

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.umd.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 13:05:54 -0500
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanr@pluto.mumble.net>, "Danny Ayers" <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Cc: "Kashyap, Vipul" <VKASHYAP1@partners.org>, public-semweb-lifesci@w3.org, "deWaard, Anita (ELS)" <A.dewaard@elsevier.com>
At 10:15 -0500 3/31/06, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>On Mar 31, 2006, at 3:26 AM, Danny Ayers wrote:
>
>>  The work done around SKOS (and specific tasks like expressing WordNet
>>  in RDF) does suggest RDF/OWL is a particularly good technology choice
>>  for thesauri.
>>
>>  Cheers,
>>  Danny.
>
>Hi Danny,
>
>Could you either summarize or point to a reference that explains in
>what ways this is so?
>
>--Alan

Alan, I haven't yet seen one document that really nails this, but
there's a lot of stuff on the SKOS pages at W3C -- one very useful
thing to look at is the SKOS Core page [1] which, near the bottom,
has the materials from some tutorials at the Dublin Core conference.
There's also a getting starting document [2] which doesn't go into
the "why" but has a nice intro, easily acessible to the "thesaurus
aware" that explains the how and at least mentions some of the
benefits (mainly in linking)
  -JH

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/swbp-thesaurus-pubguide/

--
Professor James Hendler			  Director
Joint Institute for Knowledge Discovery	 	  301-405-2696