What is a property?

From: Raúl García Castro <rgarcia@fi.upm.es>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 16:50:35 +0200
To: SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Dear all,

Taking a look to a previous thread
(https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sdw-wg/2017Apr/0335.html)
and to a recent pull request conversation
(https://github.com/w3c/sdw/pull/792) it seems that there are two views
on what a property is.

Is it something intrinsic to a feature?
   ns:OccupancyBuildingX a ssn:Property ;
     ssn:isPropertyOf ns:BuildingX .
   ns:OccupancyBuildingY a ssn:Property ;
     ssn:isPropertyOf ns:BuildingY .

Or is it something independent of a concrete feature?
   ns:Occupancy a ssn:Property ;
     ssn:isPropertyOf ns:BuildingX .
     ssn:isPropertyOf ns:BuildingY .

For those familiar with QUDT, is a Property related to a qudt:Quantity
(first option above) or to a qudt:QuantityKind (second option)?

Note that both options are supported by current definitions and usage
information, so we need to define clearly what we understand as a
Property and update the definitions and examples to leave it clear.

Kind regards,

--

Dr. Raúl García Castro
http://www.garcia-castro.com/

Ontology Engineering Group
Departamento de Inteligencia Artificial
Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros Informáticos
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
Campus de Montegancedo, s/n - Boadilla del Monte - 28660 Madrid
Phone: +34 91 336 65 96 - Fax: +34 91 352 48 19