Re: SpatialThing and feature (again)

Andreas,

It may not be worth delving too deeply into this...

W3C Basic Geo defines SpatialThing and then subclasses it to Point carrying the lat and long properties. No one defines their own SpatialThings, they simply add geo:lat and geo:long properties to some resource X to turn it into “also a Point”, in other words “also a geometry”. This implies for most users but does not actually assert that resource X is both a feature and a geometry. One could form a subclass of geo:SpatialThing that was actually disjoint with geo:Point or other geometry,  which would then align more-or-less with iso geosparql:Feature, hence the assertion that some geo:SpatialThings are geosparql:Features. This is largely hypothetical.

There is a similar property in GeoRSS, the point(pos) property, but this doesn’t try to create one feature-geometry amalgam. It’s simply a shortcut for a longer expression that identifies some resource as a _Feature with a “where" object property connecting to a Point geometry resource.

It might be most accurate to say that your example of using W3C Basic Geo to represent feature and geometry in the “style” of geosparql is actually the longhand of what people are trying to do when they do use geo:lat and geo:long, identifying a resource as a real world feature and giving it a closely allied point geometry.

—Josh