Re: BP document FROZEN - vote next Monday [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Hi Jeremy,

I've just had a quick scan through the rest of the best practice.

This document needs time for a decent sanity check.

It is quite technical and assumes quite a bit of prior knowledge.

I suspect that we may be missing the needs of the targeted audience (that I'm assuming to be a Web Developer).

As an example under 11.4 Parse that, there is the text:

"Imagery formats JPEG [JPEG2000<http://w3c.github.io/sdw/bp/#bib-JPEG2000>] and PNG [PNG<http://w3c.github.io/sdw/bp/#bib-PNG>] can also be coerced to carry data; providing 3 or 4 channels of 8-bit data values."

An end user would need to understand that imagery is typical presented as a set of bands of data, where each band is a segment of the Electromagnetic Spectrum.

Using the example of a set a 7 bands within a Landsat 7 scene, only three bands are typically presented in a JPEG/PNG file as RGB values. These RGB values in the file may actually depict a different band combination from the image, e.g. data from Blue, NIR and MIR bands.

The paragraph goes on to discuss the need to avoid compressed data, but does not discuss lossy and non-lossy compression algorithms.

Lossy compression should be avoided (as stated), but lossless may well be OK.

Though this will also depend on intended use. If the data is just to be used as a 'pretty picture' background then the lossy format is probably OK.

The JPEG2000 image format that is used as an example is typically compressed with a wavelet compression. This is usually a lossy compression, unless the data creator has explicitly created a lossless image.

This is only one example that I was able to quickly find for this email.

=====

What is driving the current rush to finish this work? Is the deadline just arbitrary that someone has pulled out the air?

=====

There is a lot of good work in this document. I'd like too see it undergo a rigorous edit and sanity check.

I will have to leave this version of the document now, as I really do have other priorities that I need to concentrate on.

Kind regards,

Bruce

​