From: Dan Brickley [mailto:danbri@google.com]
Sent: Friday, 2 September 2016 8:07 AM
To: Jeremy Tandy <jeremy.tandy@gmail.com>
Cc: Joshua Lieberman <jlieberman@tumblingwalls.com>; SDW WG Public List <public-sdw-wg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Difference between W3C Basic Geo "spatial thing" and sdwgeo "spatial thing"

I'm not sure when the RDFIG/SWIG basic geo SpatialThing vocabulary started to be taken so seriously!

https://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/ and https://www.w3.org/2003/01/geo/wgs84_pos were just a bunch of us from the W3C RDF IG / Semweb IG collaborating in a few IRC chats, as a result of our having noticed that a lot of us had made up similar-looking RDF schemas that defined lat/long-related properties. The main lesson from that exercise was that people will adopt something and assume it has had careful review, merely because it is on w3.org<http://w3.org>. It took quite a while (~3 years!) before someone noticed that we defined an 'alt' property without saying what it means. Please don't tie yourself in knots trying to coordinate with it; instead consider any modest improvements we could make to its documentation (including pointers to later work from this group or elsewhere).

Dan