Re: Does 'Feature' = 'Real World Thing'?

Jeremy,

Unfortunately the W3C reference picks up a couple of phrases from the ISO / OGC General Feature Model and so creates its own ambiguity. The key processes are feature "discernment" and feature "representation". The term "real world objects" has no meaning for us until we discern something (e.g. by sensing)  that is separable from the rest our experience, or "universe of discourse". Feature is therefore a way of referring both to that experience and to some artifact such as data that represents or models it (using scheme, attributes, geometries, etc.). This duality is pretty closely mirrored in our apparent dilemma between identification (e.g. by URI / IRI) and linking (e.g. dereferenceable URL). A feature doesn't need to have a representation, but it does need some way of referencing, naming, or identification so that it can be a part of discourse. Of course this is what abstraction means, an identifiable concept that is asserted (and communicated) to generalize specific experience, e.g. Pothole instead of " what did I just hit?). We implement abstractions with feature data, such as points or linear measures.

What does this mean for spatial data on the Web? Just that we need to make sure that those two relationships that make up a feature can be communicated across the  Web:  identification of discernment and the fact / assertion that some data or other Web artifact represents it. Do we "know" that two features are the same "real world object"? Not really. The lighthouse and the vertical obstruction may appear according to spatial referencing to be collocated. We may even assert in common sense "That's a strange name for a lighthouse," but the abstraction, schema, attributes, geometry, etc. are separate and may be completely different.

Just as with Web content in general, it might not be necessary in the vast majority of cases to be very explicit about this formalism, but if we leave it to consumers, particularly of the machine variety, to explore murky implications about the "featureness" of spatial data or what it says about what we say about the world, there will be unfortunate consequences in data-driven interactions with that world.

Joshua Lieberman, Ph.D.
Principal, Tumbling Walls Consultancy
Tel/Direct: +1 627-431-6431
jlieberman@tumblingwalls.com