Re: UCR issue: phrasing of CRS requirement(s)

From: Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 10:09:02 +0200
To: Simon.Cox@csiro.au, Kerry.Taylor@csiro.au, L.Svensson@dnb.de, eparsons@google.com, janowicz@ucsb.edu
CC: public-sdw-wg@w3.org
Dear Simon,

>  Thanks Kerry - that's essentially the way I see it, if by "linked
> data representation" you are implying RDF. I would like to ask those
> people advocating a new CRS encoding in RDF, what this would be
> useful for?

Well of course, this is a very "niche" usage, but typical use cases are
for getting an explicit semantic description of how a CRS has been built
so that you can, for example, query for all CRSs that use a specific
Datum, or, more simply, ask for the EPSG identifier corresponding to the
URI of a CRS, etc.

> The main use for a CRS _description_ (as opposed to
> denotation) is to support _coordinate transformation_, which is a
> very mathematical operation. Not really what RDF is good at.

I agree. I would not argue that the RDF description of a CRS is crucial
for actually implementing the coordinate transformation. Note that for
this, we have also started to implement a REST-based service that do
pair-wise coordinate transformation between CRS, see
https://github.com/vienlam/Geo
Best regards.

   Raphaël

--