Re: Figuring out easier readonly interfaces

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 07:01:30 -0700
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>
CC: "Mark S. Miller" <erights@google.com>, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Allen Wirfs-Brock <allen@wirfs-brock.com>, "public-script-coord@w3.org" <public-script-coord@w3.org>

On Oct 14, 2013, at 3:58 PM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 2:40 PM, Mark S. Miller <erights@google.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 2:16 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
>> wrote:
>>> "DOMRectReadOnly" means that this interface provides only read access to
>>> the object. It says nothing about whether there are ways to mutate the
>>> object, whether through other interfaces on the same object or via related
>>> DOM objects (e.g. when a DOMRectReadOnly is returned by the "bounds"
>>> attribute of a mutable DOMQuad). This name may be confusing,
>>
>> The notion that the "Only" in the name refers only to the interface and not
>> the object is confusing and bizarre. None of "DOM", "Rect", or "Read" refer
>> to the interface, they all refer to the object.
>
> We have the same notion elsewhere though. E.g. a <input readonly>
> cannot be modified by the user, but can be modified through script.
> Attributes annotated in IDL with "readonly" have the same behavior.

I think readonly is very clear. It states exactly what this interface is about. DOMRectReader instead sounds like a client to get information which does not reflect the relation properly.

Greetings,
Dirk