Re: Conflicts between W3C specs and ES5?

On Nov 16, 2009, at 2:38 AM, James Graham wrote:

> However it does document things that are required for ECMAScript
> implementations that want to work with web content, as evidenced by
> the fact that even greenfield implementations, such as V8, implement
> the things described on that page.

You mean even green-field but stealthy for two years from a big
company that has means to persuade a few bad sites to fix their
content implementations :-/.

I heard that junk like foo.arguments was used on only one significant
site (nba.com? Someone at Google knows). That at some small cost this
could not be fixed so implementations can skip it is unclear.

Mozilla turns some bugs into Technology Evangelism bugs instead of
slavishly implementing every IE-compatible mistake we can find. Yes,
this is imperfect and we are obviously also guilty of following extant
content instead of leading it. But too much following, and too much
over-specifying, and you will paint yourself into a corner.

The opportunity cost (that you spend time on trailing edge stuff
instead of better leading edge work) is very high too.

/be