Re: proposal just for article

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:

<snip>

> The reason I included types for issues and volumes is that there were
> comments that the volume and issue numbers need a home -- a class. If
> Periodical can't be that class, then what is? Dan used Issuance as a class,
> I believe to get around that.

No, I created Issuance (now called PeriodicalIssue) as a class because
it maps to the real world item--periodical issues--that I was trying
to describe. Most issues are identified by an issue number, so it made
sense to make issue number a property of PeriodicalIssue.

> So it seems that the volume number needs to be
> a property of the volume, and the issue number needs to be a property of the
> issue. If you can find another place for them, that's great.

I ended up getting rid of PeriodicalVolume because, while it was a
parallel to the Season in Series/Season/Episode and did provide a
natural place for a volume number to live, people actually talk about
and buy seasons of TV shows in boxed sets and online. Periodicals, on
the other hand, you don't really buy by the volume, or talk with your
friends about that great volume of Lancet. Subscriptions are typically
date-bounded, not tied to the start or finish of a given volume.

Also I had received feedback that the proposal was too complex. Given
that it only added three classes at that point, getting rid of
PeriodicalVolume seemed like the best way to try to simplify it.

And of course Bibo seemed to be doing fine without a Volume class. So,
given all that, if you look at an issue of a periodical you will
typically find the volume number printed on it, it made sense to make
volume number a property of PeriodicalIssue as well.

> I would like
> for volume number to be available both to books and periodicals.

That certainly makes sense, and if we follow the "further alignment
with Bibo strategy" that I had suggested [1], that would happen as
part of step 2.

1. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schemabibex/2013Dec/0076.html