Fictional Universe (was: Re: Comics and periodicals in schema.org)

Hi Thad:

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com> wrote:
> The mention of the overlapping and continuing Comic Series of Xmen over the
> years, reminded me of the need for a property to hold the "fictional
> universe".
>
> I did not see a "fictional universe" that ties all series / brands (from
> Peter's schema) / issues / stories.  Work in Progress ? (Comics are
> fictional based, so any fiction-based periodical will probably appreciate a
> property like that)
>
> We have the "Part of fictional universes" property in Freebase currently.
> As a guide, please read the description along the top of :
> https://www.freebase.com/fictional_universe/work_of_fiction?schema=
>
> and let's think about ways to incorporate it within the schema proposal and
> where.

Interesting! To keep the relevant scopes manageable, perhaps we should
develop a "fictional universe" proposal separately from the
Periodicals & Comics proposal?

I could see something simple like the following quick and dirty
approach working in the short term:

"""
New type: CreativeWork -> FictionalUniverse
Definition: ""Fictional universe", as used here, applies to the
settings and characters of a fictional work or works.  The main
purpose of the type is to gather works that belong to a common
setting. Therefore, stand-alone works may not need to use this type.
For example, the Buffyverse for works about Buffy the Vampire Slayer,
or the Foundation Universe for Isaac Asimov's Robot, Empire, and
Foundation series." (credit Freebase)

New property: partOfFictionalUniverse FictionalUniverse The fictional
universe or universes that this work is associated with. (credit
Freebase) (Domain: CreativeWork)
"""

Beyond the short term, there are a number of properties at
http://www.freebase.com/fictional_universe/fictional_universe?schema=
that would require us to define types for characters, languages
(fictional), calendar systems (fictional), etc, all of which would
need to be coordinated with the TV and Radio types (as they currently
don't define "characters" for example). So if we want to go beyond
just the simple "aggregation of CreativeWorks" level and start
creating FictionalCharacter, FictionalLanguage, and
FictionalCalendarSystem types, I think it really needs to be its own
proposal :)