*From:* Phil Barker [mailto:phil.barker@hw.ac.uk]
*Sent:* Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:11 AM
*To:* Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@dataliberate.com>
*Cc:* public-schema-course-extend@w3.org
*Subject:* Re: schema-course-extend: credential or award offered through
course.

On 16/06/2016 10:10, Richard Wallis wrote:

Seeing the somewhat involved discussion around the description of
credentials I envisage either the overall Course proposal (V1.0) being
delayed by it or; the credential proposals not being addressed fully.

I agree.

Pragmatically I propose that initially the property is defined with a
rangeIncludes of Text & URL.  This will provide the initial ability to at
least reference credentials.  Following on, a full broad discussion will
result in a well thought through proposal for a new Credential [or
alternatively named] Type.  Part of that proposal being to extend the range
of the Course property to include this new type.

Why URL rather than Thing? I would quite like to be able to provide a name
and URL.  Also, I don't like the semantics of implying that the student
will get a URL at the end of the course!

As to the currently proposed Course property name ‘grantsCredential’, we
still have the question of if ‘credential’ is a good term.  Even if we
agree it is, I have a concern about ‘grants’.   The Course does not *grant* a
qualification, that is done by an organisation - completing/passing the
course leads to the granting of the associated qualification.

Yes, I see your point.

Phil

~Richard.

Richard Wallis