Re: New use case for online courses schema

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 7:05 AM, Phil Barker <phil.barker@hw.ac.uk> wrote:

> [removing a couple of cc's to people I know to be on the mailing list]
>
> On 14/01/2016 12:33, Wes Turner wrote:
>
> Phil,
>
> It would be tragically unfortunate if we were to have scoped this WG and
> additional mailing list (where a github issue would have worked just fine);
> and were thus only able to add a type with a description.
>
> We certainly haven't. Currently, the use cases require and the current
> proposal has far more than a type and a description.
>
> I disagree about the need for more than a github issue (evidently). I
> think it important that contributions to schema.org are clearly backed by
> a community and that the W3C community groups are the better means for
> showing that.
>

>From here
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schema-course-extend/2016Jan/0008.html
:

    * Products:
      * [-] DOC: schema google doc
      * [-] DOC: use cases doc
      * [ ] ENH: ./?.rdfa.html5.html -- course extension RDFa
      * [ ] ENH: sdo-course-examples.txt -- course extension examples RDFa
      * [ ] TST:
      * [ ] DOC: release notes
      * [ ] DOC: blog post: http://blog.schema.org/

And then from here: https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/195
(where I remembered to add the document product shorturls):

Products:

   - "Schema.org: Online Courses" [Schema] (@vholland
<https://github.com/vholland>, et al.)
      - https://goo.gl/2Sxxy3
      - Thing > Intangible > Course
      - Thing > Intangible > CourseSection
      - Thing > Event > EducationEvent
      - [UPDATE]
      - [{ }] Thing > Intangible > Course
      - [{ }] Thing > CreativeWork > Course
      - [{ }] Thing > Product > Course
   - "Schema for Courses" [Use Cases] (@philbarker
<https://github.com/philbarker>, et al.)
      - http://goo.gl/DnTTsb

I just updated the ticket description -- as, as [this issue ticket]
creator, I have edit privs for Issue.description to this:

* | Project: https://www.w3.org/community/schema-course-extend/
* | MailingList:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schema-course-extend/
* | Issue: https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/195

Goals:

* schema.org/Course , schema.org/CourseSection , schema.org/EducationEvent

> SCHEMA COURSE EXTENSION COMMUNITY GROUP
>
> This mission of this group, initiated by LRMI, is to develop an extension
for schema.org concerning the discovery of any type of educational course
(online/offline, long/short, scheduled/on-demand). Educational course is
defined as "some sequence of events and/or creative works which aims to
build the knowledge, competence or ability of learners". (Out of scope:
information about students and their progression etc; information needed
internally for course management rather than discovery).

* [ ] DOC: "Schema.org: Online Courses" \[Schema]  (@vholland, et al.)
  https://goo.gl/2Sxxy3
  * Thing > Intangible > Course
  * Thing > Intangible > CourseSection
  * Thing > Event > EducationEvent
  * [UPDATE]
  * [{ }] Thing > Intangible > Course
  * [{ }] Thing > CreativeWork > Course
  * [{ }] Thing > Product > Course
* [ ] DOC: "Schema for Courses" \[Use Cases] (@philbarker, et al.)
    http://goo.gl/DnTTsb
* [ ] ENH: **schema-course-extension-01.rdfa.html5.html**: Course extension
RDFa
* [ ] ENH: sdo-course-examples.txt -- course extension examples RDFa
* [ ] TST: equiv of ``make test`` and ``make build``
* [ ] DOC: release notes
* [ ] DOC: blog post: http://blog.schema.org/

Examples:
* http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/Course
* https://sites.google.com/site/moocontology/home
* https://sites.google.com/site/moocontology/onlinecourse
* https://sites.google.com/site/moocontology/example

Discussion Mailing List Threads:
* **http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Oct/0052.html**

  "[Proposal] schema:OnlineCourse"
* http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Feb/0127.html
  * http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2014Feb/0131.html
* http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2012Dec/0032.html
* http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2012Nov/0004.html

Use Cases / Potential Implementors (Culled from the Mailing List):

* https://www.khanacademy.org/
* http://ocw.mit.edu/
* http://www.ieee.org/portal/innovate/products/educational/
* http://www.acm.org/education/curricula/ComputerScience2008.pdf
* https://www.udacity.com/
* https://www.edx.org/
* https://www.coursera.org/
  * *https://www.coursera.org/course/datascitoolbox* * Proposal Example
* http://www.edumine.com/
* https://www.futurelearn.com/
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_learning_management_systems
* [University] Course Catalogs contain prerequisites and matriculation
requirements
  * https://explorecourses.stanford.edu
  * http://student.mit.edu/catalog/m6a.html
    * *http://www.mit.edu/catalog/6.034* * Proposal Example
  * http://www.ccae.org/
    * *
http://learn.ccae.org/modules/shop/index.html?action=section&OfferingID=62&SectionID=1486*
* Proposal Example
  * http://data.wu.ac.at/
  * http://data.wu.ac.at/dataset/all_courses_2014s
  * http://data.wu.ac.at/dataset/all_course_events_2014s
* US Primary education standards: http://www.corestandards.org/ "Common
Core"
  * This could potentially be extremely useful for discovering useful
curriculum resources
* https://developers.google.com/edu/curriculumsearch/ (educationalAlignment
-> "Course")
* https://www.class-central.com/
  *
https://github.com/dhawalhshah/class-central/blob/master/src/ClassCentral/SiteBundle/Resources/views/Default/courses.table.html.twig
  *
https://github.com/dhawalhshah/class-central/blob/master/src/ClassCentral/SiteBundle/Resources/views/Course/mooc.html.twig
* https://github.com/edx/
  *
https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/blob/master/cms/djangoapps/models/settings/course_details.py
  *
https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/blob/master/common/djangoapps/course_modes/models.py
  *
https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/blob/master/lms/templates/courseware/course_about.html
  *
https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/blob/master/lms/templates/courseware/courses.html
    *
https://github.com/edx/edx-platform/blob/master/lms/templates/course.html

I feel like things get lost in mailing lists [*]; whereas with one issue
thread (and pingbacks), it's much easier to scan the whole discussion

[*]
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schema-course-extend/2016Jan/0008.html

> I agree with what you write below about relationships etc. I think a lot
> of it is already in the model that Vicky Tardif Holland proposed. Would be
> interested to know how CourseUnit is different logically from
> Course/EducationalEvent/CreativeWork.

Course
  CourseUnit s
     CourseUnit s
        Thing s

Course
  units = []
  CourseUnit < ThingSequence
     units = []
     CourseUnit < ThingSequence
        things = [CreativeWork_0, CreativeWork_X, Thing_Y]

"Schema.org 101" <Course.name>
   "Unit 1: Linked Data" <CourseUnit.name>
       "Unit 1.1: URLs and URIs" <CourseUnit.name>
           https://example.org/  <Thing.url>

Practically, if one was to write a Course (Course Metadata + Curriculum /
Lesson Plan) with e.g. Markdown and ReStructuredText,

```markdown
# Schema.org 101
## About
* | name:
* | url:

## Units
### Unit 1: Linked Data
#### Unit 1.1: URLs and URIs
* https://example.org

```

```restructuredtext
============
Schema.org 101
============
.. contents:
   :local:

About
#######
* | name:
* | url:

Units
######

Unit 1: Linked Data

Unit 1.1: URLs and URIs
* https://example.org

```

> Phil
>
> To me, increasing course discoverability means walking 'up' (from content
> nodes to container/collection nodes).

Use case: find courses which reference a schema:Thing.url (e.g. of a
schema:CreativeWork) ["Find courses which frame this content"]