Re: Coherent (modern) definition of RWW

On 5/18/21 3:16 PM, Timothy Holborn wrote:

> On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 04:54, Nathan Rixham <nathan@webr3.org
> <mailto:nathan@webr3.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 7:19 PM Tomasz Pluskiewicz
>     <tomasz@t-code.pl <mailto:tomasz@t-code.pl>> wrote:
>

>         And yet isn’t most software worldwide plain JSON over HTTP,
>         with some RAML or Open API if you’re lucky?
>
>         But I think I will stop here, since we appear to be getting
>         nowhere :)
>

> Look for a 'coherent' definition; and it ends up looking like
> decoherence;  but I think, had some areas of debate that could be
> summarised as a topically defined area of 'scope' / 'requirements'??
>
> Maybe therein; some consideration around modal structures?  IDK.
>

>     Agree on both points, seeing this degenerate into httpRange-14,
>     confusion over resource vs representation, confusion over
>     protocols vs abstract concepts, of the duality of resource names,
>     is a pity indeed.
>
>     Regarding JSON over HTTP, could that not be a part of RWW? If we
>     focus on being media type agnostic, and avoid rdf/linked data
>     completely, then it'll work for everything, which includes linked
>     data. Focus on the super set.
>

> Yup.  fairly sure 'facebook mode' should be supported....  but perhaps
> a different 'modal structure' / backwards compatibility?  i'm not sure
> their robots are so friendly, or caring...
>

>     Tomasz, fwiw Melvin & I were playing around with
>     linkedobjects some time ago, like a mini version of json-ld that
>     you stick in data islands, then access automatically via
>     globalThis, is was actually v simple to both implement and use,
>     like a 5 line shim that made json-ld and json accessible in a nice
>     way.

Hi Timothy,

FWIW -- A Read-Write Web is simply an Entity Relationship Graph (Graph
for short), constructed from hyperlinks, that supports Create, Update,
and Delete operations -- in one form or another.

Fundamentally, you can add, alter, and remove parts from said graph.

Web 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 themed technologies have offered the above in
various forms with associated consequences re:

1. Interaction Flexibility & Inflexibility  via Application or Service
Experience

2. User Privacy

3. Society at large .

Personally, I don't fixate on perfect definitions or "one size fits all"
world views. I prefer to simply get stuff done by implementing relevant
open standards are various Super Set oriented entry points (* which may
not always be obvious initially *).

In conclusion:

Let's crack on with getting stuff done since we have all the open
standards and specs in place. Basically, write stuff, share it with
others to test interop.

The more the do that the better for item #3 which I know you care a lot
about :)

Home Page: http://www.openlinksw.com
Community Support: https://community.openlinksw.com
Weblogs (Blogs):