Re: Coherent (modern) definition of RWW

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 21:39, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
wrote:

> On 5/18/21 3:16 PM, Timothy Holborn wrote:
>

> On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 04:54, Nathan Rixham <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 7:19 PM Tomasz Pluskiewicz <tomasz@t-code.pl>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> And yet isn’t most software worldwide plain JSON over HTTP, with some
>>> RAML or Open API if you’re lucky?
>>>
>>> But I think I will stop here, since we appear to be getting nowhere :)
>>>

> Look for a 'coherent' definition; and it ends up looking like
> decoherence;  but I think, had some areas of debate that could be
> summarised as a topically defined area of 'scope' / 'requirements'??
>
> Maybe therein; some consideration around modal structures?  IDK.
>

>> Agree on both points, seeing this degenerate into httpRange-14, confusion
>> over resource vs representation, confusion over protocols vs abstract
>> concepts, of the duality of resource names, is a pity indeed.
>>
>> Regarding JSON over HTTP, could that not be a part of RWW? If we focus on
>> being media type agnostic, and avoid rdf/linked data completely, then it'll
>> work for everything, which includes linked data. Focus on the super set.
>>

> Yup.  fairly sure 'facebook mode' should be supported....  but perhaps a
> different 'modal structure' / backwards compatibility?  i'm not sure their
> robots are so friendly, or caring...
>

>> Tomasz, fwiw Melvin & I were playing around with linkedobjects some time
>> ago, like a mini version of json-ld that you stick in data islands, then
>> access automatically via globalThis, is was actually v simple to both
>> implement and use, like a 5 line shim that made json-ld and json accessible
>> in a nice way.
>>

> Hi Timothy,
>
> FWIW -- A Read-Write Web is simply an Entity Relationship Graph (Graph for
> short), constructed from hyperlinks, that supports Create, Update, and
> Delete operations -- in one form or another.
>
> Fundamentally, you can add, alter, and remove parts from said graph.
>
> Web 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0 themed technologies have offered the above in
> various forms with associated consequences re:
>
> 1. Interaction Flexibility & Inflexibility  via Application or Service
> Experience
>
> 2. User Privacy
>
> 3. Society at large .
>
> Personally, I don't fixate on perfect definitions or "one size fits all"
> world views. I prefer to simply get stuff done by implementing relevant
> open standards are various Super Set oriented entry points (* which may not
> always be obvious initially *).
>
> In conclusion:
>
> Let's crack on with getting stuff done since we have all the open
> standards and specs in place. Basically, write stuff, share it with others
> to test interop.
>
> The more the do that the better for item #3 which I know you care a lot
> about :)

So I think you could view the web as a giant state machine.  And writing to
the web is changing that state machine

So the potential of a read write web is to create a web scale operating
system, which is something we've not yet seen

I may be wrong here, but I think that all operating systems rely on a clock

Now imagine if the clock was internal to any one process (think server),
that would not make sense for an operating system

An external clock that you can hook into brings us one step closer to an
read write, standards based, operating system for the web.  This could be
done both with server side apps, which now become just agents, and also
with client side apps, you could imagine a user interface changing
dynamically over time, perhaps evn democratically.  Lots of nice
side-effects drop out of this

It goes without saying that all of these changes should be 100% backwards
compatible with what exists, so that it augments, rather than replaces