Re: Introductions, looking for inputs from Read Write Web Community Group

On 2 December 2012 13:03, Christine Perey <cperey@perey.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm happy to learn about the existence of the W3C Read Write Web Community
> Group [1] because you're really onto something important.
>
> By way of this message I hope that those on the AR Standards Discussion
> mailing list [2] will take a moment to check out all that's happening over
> on this W3C CG.
>
> Some of the content that is Read and Written will be viewed in overlay or
> synchronized with the real world: in Augmented Reality view or mode (camera
> view, if it is visualized).
>
> For those in RWW group, as mentioned above, there's another community that
> is actively working together around the topic of AR to further our common
> goals of open and interoperable AR Content and experiences through
> development and adoption of open interfaces, with standards where/when
> possible.
>
> There are, as Rob has mentioned in the AR Community Group, related
> standards page [3] Web-specific tools.
>
> In addition, you might be interested in visiting and browsing all that's
> available (on this page [4]) and all that is underway (on this page [5]) in
> different Standards Development organizations including but not limited to
> W3C to make AR open.
>
> I'm also writing also to solicit inputs and start a discussion in both
> groups (maybe that's not scalable) about requirements for the AR use
> scenarios that involve the user writing/publishing new annotations (or
> "augmentations") onto the real world.
>
> The "read" side is not going to be terribly different from viewing any
> other AR content but that which is composed and published by the users
> directly could be private or public annotations.
>
> Having thought about this as a group, there are a couple of files that
> could serve as starters for new collaborative work with the RWW community.
>
> The two resources I will suggest as starting points are:
>
>  - slide format collection of actors and steps results of a brainstorm
> about a year ago [6]
>  - a position paper I wrote on the subject of AR use cases [7] for our
> sixth AR Standards Community meeting in July 2013 [8]
>
> Melvin, how best to do this? A wiki on the RWW area?

Hi Christine & Welcome to the Read Write Web Community Group!  I very much
enjoyed working with you in the federated web incubator group.

I certainly do see an overlap between what the write web can do, and some
exciting use cases in Augmented Reality.  The idea that you mentioned that
a user can create a message at a geographical point (say lon/lat) and share
it with a group or the public is exactly the kind of thing that write
standards can help to solve in an interoperable way.

I've already heard from at least two people in this group that is
interested in making a privacy aware "check-in" service that can be shared
with a group of friends, for example, to allow them to know where you are
hanging out.

The wiki is completely open to all members and it would be awesome to have
a section on Augmented Reality, as a possible show case of what write
standards on the web can do.