Re: where to hang the metadata?

> Michael,
>
> You are right (of course :-) and rule do not have any kind of special
> first-class existence in logic. But shouldn't they, nonetheless, have
> some kind of first-class existence in a rule interchange format?

They already do have first-class existence. Adding a wrapper does not add
anything but bloat.

> Michael Kifer wrote:
> >
> > The Rule wrapper is unacceptable from the FLD point of view.
> > I am glad that there is FLD to keep us honest :-)
> > And this extra wrapper is just bloat that gives nothing.
> >
> > All this mess indicates to me that the only good solution is our original
> > proposal to use Group only. All the talk about the first-class existence
> > for rules reminds me medieval disputations about how many devils can fit on
> > a needle point.
>
> Or, couldn't "all this mess" indicate that trying to have RIF-FLD cover
> FOL is just trying to embrace too much at this stage?

It is not FOL that I am worried about. There are important systems, like
DLV and smodels, which I am worried about. Calling their constructs "rules"
is possible, but is a bit of a stretch.

> I can envision that there could be a future LIFE WG (logic interchange
> format for everyone) chartered to develop a logic dialect framework that
> would encompass RIF-FLD (the framework for logic dialects of the rule
> interchange format) as a special case for the kind of formulae that some
> user/developer communities call "rules"...
>
> Just thinking about what is a reasonable scope for this WG, and where to
> stop...

Why are you talking with riddles? Are you proposing to junk FLD?

	--michael