From: public-rif-wg-request@w3.org [mailto:public-rif-wg-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Jos de Bruijn
Sent: April 23, 2008 12:07 PM
To: Sandro Hawke
Cc: public-rif-wg@w3.org
Subject: Re: where to hang the metadata?

 > Thinking over today's difficult discussion about metadata, it seems
> me that the right solution is this:
>
>    1.  Allow metadata, syntactically, on every object, by way of a
(class)
>        element.  No need for wrapper elements.  In a normal rule, the
>        "Forall" is where you'd hang the metadata.  I have some ideas
for
>        the PS, but no favorites.
>
>    2.  Add a "group" element, for making these conceptual groupings
that
>        Michael speaks of (and I'm familiar with from my own rule
>        programming), where the metadata applies to a set of a few
>        rules).
>
> What about this approach would be so bad?

For me the question was not how to attach metadata, but rather whether
and how to identify rules.

For a long time our top-level element in RIF was the ruleset and the
second-level element was the rule.

Recently the notion of "group" was introduced, which lies between the
ruleset and the rule: a ruleset contains groups and groups contain
rules.
So, we have:

Ruleset

  Group

  Rule

I myself do not really see the need for this group element in BLD, but I

do not strongly object to it.

The current draft of BLD allows identifying rule sets and groups, but
not rules.  I was arguing that it should be possible to identify rules.

Best, Jos

--
Jos de Bruijn            debruijn@inf.unibz.it
+390471016224         http://www.debruijn.net/