Re: CURIE proposal ...

Axel wrote:

> Michael Kifer wrote:
> > Axel wrote:
>
> > > To me it appears that there is a mess already: XML is different from
> > > Turtle is different from RDF/XML... All I intended to propose was
> > > adopting ONE of them (Turtle) without compromises, instead of inventing
> > > yet another one.
>
> > No, you are proposing to import that mess into RIF.
>
> I am really not. I agree that mixing up things is a mess. I am entirely
> happy without a generic macro mechanism and reusing the Turtle way of
> CURIEs. I just said, if you want another, more generic macro mechanism,
> XML entities are already there and we might consider reusing them.

XML's entities are not "already there."  It is like saying "C macros are
already there." XML and the pres syntax use quite different syntaxes.
You cannot hand-wave a mechanism from one language into another.

My proposal (one of) was *precisely* to define how a simple entity-like
macro would be used in the pres syntax.

My other proposal was to have/fix a less general curie-like mechanism (but
not to import the existing mess).

As I said, your proposal had a couple of holes, which Jos was trying to
fix. Most of all, I do not like the fact that you are proposing that ":"
would macro-expand differently depending on where it appears (after the ^^
or elsewhere). My second proposal (<prefix:suffix>) was to fix that.

	--michael