Re: import qus <-- RE: imports + metadata

Paul Vincent wrote:
> Imports: A few qu's.
> 1. Is this something that is quite common in the semantic web
> knowledgebase world? AFAIK its not the case in the commercial prod rule
> world, other than maybe as a rule mgmt issue (ie not as a deployment /
> interchange issue).

Yes. It is very common to have one ontology build upon (import) multiple
other ontologies produced by different groups. It seems to be a
fundamental use case in RIF is to take one rule from one group and
re-use it.  We certainly had "merge rule sets" as a phase 1 requirement
and the import mechanism seems to me to be part of our answer to this.

> 2. By "including" some knowledgebase, presumably you are doing so
> because it is external (if it wasn't you could collapse it in-situ
> before interchange). How can you "guarantee" you know such an external
> KB's content?

You are importing a URL, whatever that URL gives you is what you import.
In the case of an http URL then it is whatever results from an http GET
operation.

> By contract? By version no or metadata?

? Sorry, don't follow the question.

Hewlett-Packard Limited