Re: [RIF-RDF] rationale for a model-theoretic semantics for combinations

Michael Kifer wrote:
>>I have to  fully support Jos here, if we do not define a practically
>>usable way to use RIF with RDF ( and probabley XML, OWL, SPARQL as the
>>next steps). First, it is in the charter, second, otherwise, I don't see
>>where we're going at all, to be honest and if we don't define the
>>handles to RIF, I don't see who should pick it up in the end?
>

> We DO define a practically usable way to use RIF with RDF. Did you follow
> the discussion

yes....

> or just took what Jos said in the last email for granted?

well, actually what puzzled me was rather your mail before jos'
and maybe thus I mis understood you the same way:

So, I'd kindly ask you to help me to understand better what you meant.
  I personally think it is good to provide some normative versions for
semantic compatibility and embeddings for normative RDF
(simple/RDF/RDFS) entailments. Whoever does something different should
first define which subset of "RDF" entailment they mean. Can we agree on
that?

> What I am saying is that the first part of that RDF compatibility document
> ADDS NOTHING to that "practical and usable way".  All we need is the second
> part of that document.

I think that is is worthwhile to clarify the relation between RIF's and
RDF's model theories, or do you want to leave that part out? I mean, it
is maybe ok to put it in an appendix/separate document. Was this what
you meant or to leave it out? If the latter, what is the reason?

> ALL: please do not get swayed by rhetorical arguments. If you want to form
> an opinion, go and read the RDF compatibility document. See if you can
> understand the purpose of both of its parts and then think if you feel that
> the first part of that document is actually needed for our purposes.

As a foundation, I think part I is  definitly needed, but probably not
on the "user" level.

best,
Axel